Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pieced top for both sides (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pieced-top-both-sides-t49698.html)

mrspete 06-14-2010 08:17 PM

Has anyone ever done the pieced top twice for both sides, instead of a solid fabric as the backing?

gotthebug 06-14-2010 08:19 PM

As a matter of fact, I am attempting to do just that right now. The front and back will be different patterns using the same fabrics. We'll see how it turns out.

CRH 06-14-2010 08:21 PM

I tried to, but when it came time to put them together, I decided to make 2 quilts instead of just ONE! :D

amma 06-14-2010 08:37 PM

I have a couple started LOL I am using bigger blocks for the back than for the front... I was trying to eliminate some of the bulk from the seams :wink: :D:D:D

mrspete 06-14-2010 08:41 PM

I would love to see it. Can you post a pic when you get it done? yeah the bulk might be a factor. I saw one post where you clip and easement at the intersections, just a slight notch to help it lay flat. You could do a tut on it, ya know !!! Thanks, blessings, Ruth

Originally Posted by gotthebug
As a matter of fact, I am attempting to do just that right now. The front and back will be different patterns using the same fabrics. We'll see how it turns out.

craftybear 06-14-2010 09:06 PM

that sounds like a cool idea, please post pictures for us

ckcowl 06-14-2010 10:17 PM

all the time. most of my quilts are 2 quilts in one...that way, if a person wants a change they can flip it over and have a new look...sometimes i use flannel on one side and regular cotton on the other...fall/winter and spring/summer.it is more fun than just a whole cloth backing...although every once in awhile i do one of those and it looks as good on the back once it's quilted...may as well be a whole new quilt ;)
the only problem? if hand quilting you wind up with lots of seams to work with...machine quilting it's not such an issue.

earthwalker 06-14-2010 10:34 PM

Thanks for raising this..I am contemplating it for my next project (machine construction/quilting...if brave enough). I thought it may be do-able so it's interesting to read what other's do.

dkabasketlady 06-15-2010 08:57 AM

I've got one that's a UFO!!! I'm a handquilter & I started thinking about quilting this with all the seams and put it back into the closet until I rethink it some more. It'll probably be two separate quilts,lol!!

quiltmom04 06-15-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
Has anyone ever done the pieced top twice for both sides, instead of a solid fabric as the backing?

I've done it several times and really like the look. I did it the first time because I ran short of fabric, but now I plan them that way. But I do make the pieces on the back MUCH bigger - at least a FQ or larger. It helps cut down on the bulk, it's not as "stretchy" and you still have a 2 sided quilt.