Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   piecing back - selvedge to selvedge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-back-selvedge-selvedge-t201815.html)

JanTx 09-29-2012 07:07 AM

piecing back - selvedge to selvedge

When I have to piece a backing horizontally I used to trim off the selvedg as carefully as I could and then sew my 1/2" seam. The results were "iffy" at best as to how straight my cutting had been. Now I leave the selvedge on until after I sew the seam - using a seam allowance that is the width of the selvedge plus 1/2". This works so much better for me! When I told my BQF (best quilty friend) :) about this she informed me that she's been doing it this way for a while. So ... in case I'm not the last one on the planet to figure this out ... here's to straighter seams!

I prefer larger backings and seam vertically when I can, but ... lately they seem to all come out better horizontally. I quilt them myself on my domestic machine.

Tink's Mom 09-29-2012 07:47 AM

Good info...

I've been doing it this way, too...never even thought about trimming first. I do lots of things wrong with quilting, but I am self taught...no lessons for me..

Sewnoma 09-29-2012 07:58 AM

If the quilt is made with love, you didn't do it wrong! :thumbup:

Scissor Queen 09-29-2012 09:05 AM

I may give this a try next time. I always snip and rip the selvedges off.

Holice 09-29-2012 09:21 AM

Have you tried John Flynn's method of cutting and piecing the back on the diagonal. Sure saves fabric.

Pinkiris 09-29-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5549616)
Have you tried John Flynn's method of cutting and piecing the back on the diagonal. Sure saves fabric.

Holice-- Try as I might, I can't make sense of the John Flynn method! Maybe you could clue me in to what I'm missing? Seem like it makes no sense to cut fabric diagonally, sew it back together and it's LARGER??? I don't get it...:confused:

Tothill 09-29-2012 05:57 PM

Great tip. I had not thought of it and appreciate your posting.

AliKat 09-30-2012 07:44 AM

John Flynn's method only works if the height and width are within certain rations.

ali

Tashana 09-30-2012 08:52 AM

If the salvage is not printed but the same color as fabric I don't even cut it off. The width of the seam is the width of the selvage. Done!

Deborahlees 09-30-2012 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris (Post 5550511)
Holice-- Try as I might, I can't make sense of the John Flynn method! Maybe you could clue me in to what I'm missing? Seem like it makes no sense to cut fabric diagonally, sew it back together and it's LARGER??? I don't get it...:confused:

The main idea to this method is the seam on the roller is NOT all in the same place, which can cause a major problem when you roll the backing onto the roller. By cutting and having the backing on the angle, that backing seam is spread evenlly across the roller....Hope that makes sense