Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-batting-t150460.html)

amandasgramma 09-04-2011 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know some of you sew your batting pieces together. Be aware that it CAN be a problem for your longarmer (lAer). I had a customer send me a king size quilt with batting --- insisted he "had the batting" --- well, he pieced it. By the time I worked my way thru the king size quilt -- here's what it looked like. I had to cut the stitching off the batting, drag my ironing board out to the shop and iron on the tape that binds batting together. Not an easy task in a room that's barely deep enough for my quilting machine! I had laid it out on the table before rolling it up on the bars --- but the warp didn't show until toward the end of the quilt!!!!

jean1941 09-04-2011 08:14 PM

I need to know if you can sew batting together on small pieces for FMQ for charity quilts. I have not done so but have a place that can get scraps of batting and if can use would be great most of it would only be one seam or what is this tape you are talking about? thanks for your answers

dunster 09-04-2011 09:42 PM

What a mess! I have to piece my batting fairly often because I buy Q-size width in a roll, but many of my quilts are larger. I wish JoAnn's sold the K-size in a roll, but they don't. I piece it carefully, and lately I've been fusing the pieces together rather than sewing. So far no problems, so I'm assuming your customer didn't have the batting pieces flat when he sewed them together.

Jennoh2 09-04-2011 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quilt batting tape (seam tape) IT IS WONDERFUL. Can usually get betwee $5-7 at most quilt stores, JoAnne, Hancocks, etc. About 16 yards in a lot.

dunster 09-04-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jennoh2
Quilt batting tape (seam tape) IT IS WONDERFUL. Can usually get betwee $5-7 at most quilt stores, JoAnne, Hancocks, etc. About 16 yards in a lot.

I just use strips of the fusible that I already have on hand.

Prism99 09-04-2011 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by jean1941
I need to know if you can sew batting together on small pieces for FMQ for charity quilts. I have not done so but have a place that can get scraps of batting and if can use would be great most of it would only be one seam or what is this tape you are talking about? thanks for your answers

Sure you can. The problem in the original post is that it was a king size quilt (*very* large!) on a longarm frame. One seam in a baby quilt will be fine.

You can use a large machine zigzag (long stitch length, wide stitch width). It's best not to do a straight line. If you can, place one piece of batting on top of the other and do a large "S" shaped cut through both pieces with your rotary cutter. Discard the remnants. The two pieces will fit together exactly and will not have a telltale crease later.

Painiacs 09-04-2011 10:56 PM

Good to know!!

hopetoquilt 09-05-2011 02:16 AM

Penny pinching on batting when you are spending $$$ on a LAQ services totally doesn't make sense!! If I send something to a LAQ, I just ask to purchase their batting. Totally worth the $$!!

quilticing 09-05-2011 02:36 AM

If you piece, make sure it's not bumpy- no hills or valleys-FLAT!

Just Me... 09-05-2011 05:09 AM

I have that problem with all of the Hobb's King-Size battings as well. Somehow, when they needlepunch the Kings, there are so ripply. I now refuse to use the Hobb's King. :(