Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   piecing curves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-curves-t36412.html)

hokieappmom 02-09-2010 06:15 AM

I'm starting a radiant suns quilt and need some help/advice on how to piece the curves without the puckering. This one may get the best of me, so thanks for any help!

justwannaquilt 02-09-2010 06:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iso3C-G0Q_8

it is called the Curve Master. It looks awesome. I own one but have never used it, maybe someone who has will see your post and comment.

nativetexan 02-09-2010 07:15 AM

or look up drunkards path blocks. i love doing them and don't have a special foot. but i do pin.

vicki75 02-09-2010 07:53 AM

I have the curve master foot, I love love love it! No pinning...just sewing. I even use it for regular sewing because it has a little guide on the foot so I know I'm sewing a 1/4 inch. I'm glad I bought mine. I met the lady who developed it at the Phoenix Quilt Show and watched her and her husband whip out double wedding ring blocks one right after the other.

kwhite 02-09-2010 08:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just did this block yesterday for the DJ. The way I did it was to sew the white side pieces together from the points to the corners, then I took the pattern for those pieces and cut away the seam allowance on the curve, put it onto the back of the piece and ironed back the curve seam allowance on all four sides. From the front then it looks like a window. Then I cut a piece of the yellow fabric and from the back I put a small bead of Elmer's school glue onto the very edge of the curves all around the window. I placed the yellow face down and ironed the glue in place. Then the yellow was exactly in place. I was able then to separate the seam and sew right on the folded line on each curve. It came out perfect.

samroberts01 02-09-2010 08:07 AM

That is really cool looking!

hokieappmom 02-09-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by vicki75
I have the curve master foot, I love love love it! No pinning...just sewing. I even use it for regular sewing because it has a little guide on the foot so I know I'm sewing a 1/4 inch. I'm glad I bought mine. I met the lady who developed it at the Phoenix Quilt Show and watched her and her husband whip out double wedding ring blocks one right after the other.

Would you happen to know if it will work on a bernina? Thanks!

hokieappmom 02-09-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I just did this block yesterday for the DJ. The way I did it was to sew the white side pieces together from the points to the corners, then I took the pattern for those pieces and cut away the seam allowance on the curve, put it onto the back of the piece and ironed back the curve seam allowance on all four sides. From the front then it looks like a window. Then I cut a piece of the yellow fabric and from the back I put a small bead of Elmer's school glue onto the very edge of the curves all around the window. I placed the yellow face down and ironed the glue in place. Then the yellow was exactly in place. I was able then to separate the seam and sew right on the folded line on each curve. It came out perfect.

Very pretty block. I hate to admit that I don't understand how you did it though.

kwhite 02-09-2010 08:18 AM

Ignore the pedals. They are not involved. Look at just the white and the center yellow. I made all of the white surround first. I ironed back the curved edges on the white, so if you were to look at it as it sits it would look just like this but without anything in the center. Then I glued the yellow onto the back and sewed the seams while glued.

BellaBoo 02-09-2010 08:23 AM

I have the Curve Master foot too and at first I didn't like it at all. I decided to master it because I watched the lady sew curve after curve demoing it and knew it was easy. I cut out a lot of circles and started sewing them to muslin and it didn't take long at all to really understand how to use the foot. It makes all curve sewing a breeze, no pinning.