Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing warn and natural batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-warn-natural-batting-t80508.html)

vicki s 12-04-2010 06:44 AM

What is the best way to piece warm and natural batting together. Do you butt it together and zig zag or just put it in the quilt and be sure to anchor it good when quilting. Have lots of larger pieces but not quite big enough. Thanks. Vicki

dkabasketlady 12-04-2010 06:54 AM

Most of us just butt it together and use a zigzag stitch. I haven't had any problems in doing this.

ktbb 12-04-2010 06:56 AM

there are several ways - I overlap the pieces slightly then run a rotary cutter down thru the doubled portion - when I throw away the scrappy edges that have been cut away, I then have two perfectly matched cut edges, and I butt them up against each other and use the widest zig=zag to stitch them together...no double thicknesses of batting to deal with in the final product..and I don't have to tug and push the edges to match.

Jan in VA 12-04-2010 07:16 AM

When butting pieces of batting together with a zigzag or serpentine stitch, "encourage" it under the needle....gently push TOWARD the needle rather than pulling under/behind the needle to prevent natural stretching. Handle it gently for best results!

Jan in VA

ponyriver 12-04-2010 07:23 AM

There is a new product on the market to connect batting pieces together. It is called "Heat Press Batting Together"
and is probably available at your LQS. If not available there you can go to this website:
www.heatpressbattingtogether.com
I have used this to piece batting together for larger items like quilts and also for table toppers and runners and placemats and have been very satisfied with the results.
Judy in CO

patchsamkim 12-04-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ponyriver
There is a new product on the market to connect batting pieces together. It is called "Heat Press Batting Together"
and is probably available at your LQS. If not available there you can go to this website:
www.heatpressbattingtogether.com
I have used this to piece batting together for larger items like quilts and also for table toppers and runners and placemats and have been very satisfied with the results.
Judy in CO

I have not heard of this product but will be looking for it...no matter how hard I try, when I piece batting it never lays as flat as I want it to. Ok with small projects, but for larger ones, I want my batting flat. Thanks for the info.

stewyscrewy 12-04-2010 07:42 AM

I butt and zigzg some overlap and make curvy cuts and stich them together to help not crate any bumps or lumps.

quilt queen 2 12-04-2010 08:15 AM

I do the same!

Becky Crafts 12-04-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
Most of us just butt it together and use a zigzag stitch. I haven't had any problems in doing this.

Am I the only one who uses a running stitch by hand to attach them? It lays flat, you'd never know I pieced it unless you took the whole quilt apart and it seems to be doing great. I saw to do this in a book. Guess I'm really behind the times! LOL! Doesn't the zig zagging make that seam area too thin?

Jan in VA 12-04-2010 03:31 PM

Never thought of this, and I like it!

So I assume you mean you layer one piece over the next piece of batting and then sew them together?

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady

Am I the only one who uses a running stitch by hand to attach them? It lays flat, you'd never know I pieced it unless you took the whole quilt apart and it seems to be doing great. I saw to do this in a book. Guess I'm really behind the times! LOL! Doesn't the zig zagging make that seam area too thin?