Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pincushion Filling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pincushion-filling-t206816.html)

tammystitches 11-24-2012 09:27 AM

Pincushion Filling

Has anyone used Alpaca Fiber to fill a pincushion? Do you have any pros & cons of using it? I just ordered some Alpaca Fiber and plan on making pincushions for my Mom, 2 sisters and myself for Christmas.

ckcowl 11-24-2012 09:48 AM

i have a pincushion with alpaca fiber filling- it was a gift- it is a lovely pin cushion i use all the time-seems like a pretty expensive way to go but i guess if you know where to get a deal on the fibers...sure makes a nice gift. i've used lots of alpaca fibers when felting- doing wool projects- but i tend to be rather (stingy) with it- because of it's cost.

BellaBoo 11-24-2012 10:06 AM

I have one filled with Alpaca, according to the label. It's very nice and the pins glide instead of poke in it. I don't remember it being that expensive. I think the Alpaca filled will make a nicer pincushion for a gift then one filled with batting.

jemma 11-24-2012 08:37 PM

sprinkle in some lavender flowers

Silver Needle 11-24-2012 09:51 PM

Has anyone tried the crushed walnut shells? I saw them at a quilt show but shied away because of the cost and weight.

drgranny 11-24-2012 11:09 PM

My husband was at the sheep barn at the fair while they were giving the lambs a hair cut. He picked up all the wool from the cutting tables. He brought me two 60 gallon plastic tubs full! I put it in a pillow case and wash it in the washing machine. It makes great stuffing for pincushions and best of all.............it is free!!!

annthreecats 11-25-2012 01:24 AM

Raw wool is supposed to be a great pin cushion stuffing. Alpaca would be so soft. With all the different pin cushion fillings you only have to be careful of folks with allergies.

annthreecats 11-25-2012 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny (Post 5677876)
My husband was at the sheep barn at the fair while they were giving the lambs a hair cut. He picked up all the wool from the cutting tables. He brought me two 60 gallon plastic tubs full! I put it in a pillow case and wash it in the washing machine. It makes great stuffing for pincushions and best of all.............it is free!!!

Lucky you. Enjoy.

Jackie Spencer 11-25-2012 05:56 AM

I always use the crushed walnut shells, keeps my pins sharpened, and someone told me there are natural oils so they won't rust. Plus my pincushions stay put. I especially like it in my pincushions that have the little bag hanging from them, they don't fall off the edge of my table or arm of my chair.

AnnieRose 11-25-2012 06:49 AM

I have only made a couple of utilitarian pin cushions so far. Used crushed walnut shells purchased from pet store. Made a shape and size to cover the gap between my machine and the cutout in the table...where pins were always dropping into. Worked well.