Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinking Rotary Blade - What I learned today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinking-rotary-blade-what-i-learned-today-t37296.html)

King's Daughter 02-18-2010 10:30 AM

I bought a new Olfa ergo 45mm cutter last night, plus a pinking blade, which I put on the new cutter. Dug out some scraps to see how it worked, and it was terrible, took several cuts, mangled the heck out of the scraps. Went on-line today to try to figure out what was wrong, and on the Olfa website, there is a video and a pdf on how to replace blades. When you put on one of the decorative blades, like the pinking one, the round yellow spacer gets switched to the side with the blade. I didn't see anything on the package that said to do it this way, but it was late at night and my eyes aren't the greatest. Haven't tried it yet, but will tonight when I get home, and let everyone know how it works.
Here is link to the PDF, which shows how to change both a regular blade and a decorative blade.

http://www.olfa.com/App_Content/Edit...e/bin19121.pdf

Candace 02-18-2010 10:34 AM

I've got a pinking blade and I've never used it! I can't find a use for it really, since I also have a serger.

King's Daughter 02-18-2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I've got a pinking blade and I've never used it! I can't find a use for it really, since I also have a serger.

Love your name...that's my oldest daughter's name, and spelled the same way.
I don't have a serger, and thought I would try this to cut down on raveling when pre-washing.

Candace 02-18-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter

I don't have a serger, and thought I would try this to cut down on raveling when pre-washing.

:> Did she go by Candy? I did for many years. What's funny is my brothers MIL is also Candy. Let me know if that works. I read someone on one of these threads tried pinking shears on the fabric and it still unraveled:<

King's Daughter 02-18-2010 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter

:> Did she go by Candy? I did for many years. What's funny is my brothers MIL is also Candy. Let me know if that works. I read someone on one of these threads tried pinking shears on the fabric and it still unraveled:<

Yes, she did. But now only some family (including me!) still call her that; she used Candace while she was in the working world (corporate chef). Now's she's a SAH Mom of three.

I hope it works; I'll let you know.

amma 02-18-2010 10:56 AM

Thank you for the tip on how to use the blade :D:D:D

Oklahoma Suzie 02-18-2010 10:58 AM

I have one of those blades, but never used it. Thanks for all the info.

craftybear 02-18-2010 11:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the link, I saved it on my blog where I store cool links online for quilting. The links to my blog is at the bottom of this message on my siggie.

Karen

Junie 02-18-2010 11:26 AM

I use pinking scissors and the pinking rotary blade for trimming applique pieces (especially the curved pieces like hearts and things) that I use sew-in-interfacing with, make a slit in the interfacing to turn it right side out, I can't think of what this method is called, but Eleanor Burns uses it alot. It makes the seam lay flat when pressed. An Amish friend of mine uses the pinking rotary blade for cutting out clothing patterns. It is amazing to watch her cut out a black suit with it.

Junie

King's Daughter 02-18-2010 11:28 AM

I just noticed on the Olfa website that they all sorts of cute patterns and projects, too. One is a raggy quilt that you cut out the pieces with the scalloped blade, which is supposed to eliminate snipping the seam allowances.