Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinking Rotary Cutter ?????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinking-rotary-cutter-t152312.html)

teddysmom 09-12-2011 03:47 AM

Does anyone have one? Do you like it? Where did you find it?

Sara

dakotamaid 09-12-2011 03:48 AM

I bought mine years ago at Joann Fabrics. I use it all the time for lots of things. I use it mostly for trimming my edges for pre washing fabric. My kids used it for ?????? :)

Bonbonary 09-12-2011 03:53 AM

I rarely use mine except for trimming edges before pre-washing. For cutting pieces to quilt, it is not very good. It's hard to match up edges for a good 1/4" seam.

QuiltE 09-12-2011 03:53 AM

Yes I have one, and also a wave blade.

Do I like it? Yes, it does a great job. It takes some getting used to it along the edge of the plastic ruler as it's easier to nick into it.

I seldom use it and bought it for craft use, not for quilting.

mms61371 09-12-2011 03:57 AM

I use mine for trimming edges of fabric before washing. It works great! I had an old rotary cutter and just bought a pinking blade to use with it.

teddysmom 09-12-2011 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Do I like it? Yes, it does a great job. It takes some getting used to it along the edge of the plastic ruler as it's easier to nick into it.

I'm looking for something to eliminate all the strings that end up on the carpet (I hand piece/hand quilt). Can it be used for cutting quilt pieces?

gollytwo 09-12-2011 04:12 AM

I have a pinking and wavy
Bought both at Michael's for a fusing workshop with Laura Wasilowski
Haven't used them since

QuiltE 09-12-2011 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom

I'm looking for something to eliminate all the strings that end up on the carpet (I hand piece/hand quilt). Can it be used for cutting quilt pieces?

Yes, it can be used.
Though I am like the PP who mentioned it's harder to line things up with the pinked edges.

Even with that, it's not foolproof ... you are still going to have loose threads! If you're going to sew/quilt, it's something you might want to get used to.

teddysmom 09-12-2011 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom

Yes, it can be used.
Though I am like the PP who mentioned it's harder to line things up with the pinked edges.

Even with that, it's not foolproof ... you are still going to have loose threads! If you're going to sew/quilt, it's something you might want to get used to.

Then what is the advantage of having one?

KR 09-12-2011 04:41 AM

I have the wavy blade that looks like pinking with rounded points and fits in my Olfa cutter. Especially like to use it when cutting blocks that I'm going to do applique work on as it keeps them from fraying. Bought it at Joann's with a coupon.