Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinking Shears (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinking-shears-t79386.html)

Pommom 11-28-2010 09:03 PM

To use or not to use when cutting fabric for quilts?

tjradj 11-28-2010 09:08 PM

I don't use pinking shears. I find it makes it too difficult to get that "perfect" 1/4" seam. I never know whether to use the inside or the outside of the "pinked" line as the edge of the fabric.
As for jellyrolls and turnovers that come cut with pinking shears, I find them hard to work with for the same reason, and I don't like all the lint that they create. I have to take the loose pieces outside for a good shake before I start using them.
IMHO

connie_1936 11-28-2010 09:18 PM

slow process. you could cut your blocks much faster with a rotary cutter. pinks are very hard on the hands when doing a lot of cutting. let us know what you decide.

Boscobd 11-28-2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I don't use pinking shears. I find it makes it too difficult to get that "perfect" 1/4" seam. I never know whether to use the inside or the outside of the "pinked" line as the edge of the fabric.
As for jellyrolls and turnovers that come cut with pinking shears, I find them hard to work with for the same reason, and I don't like all the lint that they create. I have to take the loose pieces outside for a good shake before I start using them.
IMHO

I agree. I just used up a bunch of charm pack squares in a scrappy quilt that had pinked edges. Drove me nuts trying to get that 1/4 inch seam. Never again. I will really pay attention to how fabrics are cut rather then just the fabrics themselves from now on!

Annaleehunter 11-28-2010 09:53 PM

Just found my Gma's pinking shears. The handles are well worn, so she pinked. I would love to find a good reason to put her pinking shears to good use. It is obvious she loved them as they were in the original packaging with lots of use.

Lady Crafter 11-28-2010 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
Just found my Gma's pinking shears. The handles are well worn, so she pinked. I would love to find a good reason to put her pinking shears to good use. It is obvious she loved them as they were in the original packaging with lots of use.

Back when Grandma quilted or sewed, she probably needed to pink edges to help stop fabric raveling. Pinking is not as necessary nowadays.

I, too, agree that pinking is difficult when trying to get that quarter inch seam, and that it creates a lot of lint. They do, however, make a pinking rotary cutter blade for those who are determined to do so.

gale 11-28-2010 09:58 PM

I used to pink a lot when I sewed clothes. I haven't since then.

Pickles 11-28-2010 10:17 PM

Yes I to think they where used more often in regular sewing
then they are now a days :D

bearisgray 11-28-2010 11:03 PM

Sometimes people used felt for ornaments or whatever - the pinking shears made the edges look a little more interesting.

It did help minimize fraying of seams - now sergers are relatively available and work better to make professional looking seam finishes.

Chasing Hawk 11-28-2010 11:07 PM

I mainly use pinking shears on corduroy and velvets.