Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinmoor--Has Anyone Tried These? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinmoor-has-anyone-tried-these-t212814.html)

EllieGirl 02-02-2013 06:51 PM

Pinmoor--Has Anyone Tried These?

I follow Leah Day on the FMQ Project. On her blog she stated that she doesn't like using spray basting because it causes ripples in the fabric. Instead she uses rpthese Pinmoors. It's a straight pin inserted into the fabric, then a thick, spongy fabric is attached to the sharp end.

I have noticed ripples in my FMQs and wonder if this would be better.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-02-2013 07:00 PM

Before I learned about Elmer's glue for bindings, I used those soft spongey ear plugs on my straight pins because I got tired of getting stuck. I had seen the Pinmoors and thought I'd try the ear plugs. They worked well on my binding. I don't know how they would do on an entire quilt because I've never tried it. You can buy the ear plugs in big tubs at Walmart and Sam's.

skowron5 02-02-2013 07:22 PM

I have used Pinmoors. . They are plastic and I found it hard to get the pins in them far enough for them to stay in . I have carpel tunnel so that may be part of the problem. I purchased the ear plugs and they work much better for me. They stay in place much better.

JENNR8R 02-02-2013 07:31 PM

I bought some and used them on one quilt. I've never been stuck so much as when I was trying to quilt with those things poking me. I gave them away.

liblady 02-02-2013 07:46 PM

I used them on a baby quilt today and they worked great. Didn't get stuck with pins at all. Did not have trouble getting the pins to stick in them.

BellaBoo 02-02-2013 08:04 PM

If you use good sharp pins, they glide right in the Pinmoor and stay on until you pull them off. I bought a package each time they went on sale and now I have all I'll ever need. I baste a king size quilt and fmq it and the Pinmoors do not come off even when wrestling the big quilt around. I have tried earplugs, foam pieces, earring backs, pencil erasers, door sealer strips and they do not perform like the Pinmoors for me. I can't stand pin pricks and if they didn't work I wouldn't use them.

CorgiNole 02-02-2013 08:09 PM

I've got quite a few as well and love them.

Cheers, K

bunniequilter 02-02-2013 08:14 PM

I have been using earplugs but think I'm going to try some Pinmores and test them out and decide for once and for all if I will toss the plugs and use the Pinmores.

kim_s 02-02-2013 10:36 PM

I have used them but gone back to the crooked safety pins because I was constantly getting poked when the pins would come lose from the pinmoors. I will try using sharper pins and see if that helps to keep them in.

Barbpr 02-02-2013 11:34 PM

There was a post about these a while ago on how you can easily make a few hundred for under $4.00. See the post (DIY pin point protectors (AKA Pinmoors))