Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help with Bargello color selection! Thanks. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-bargello-color-selection-thanks-t124769.html)

fryguymoore 05-21-2011 03:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I am going to make a red Barjello quilt for someone extremely important to me, so I really, really, really want it to turn out great. This person was my special education advocate and basically saved my son's life. Her favorite color is red. Red is not my favorite color. Even if it was I would still have trouble putting the right colors in the right order :(

I have shown the 21 colors I selected in the order closest to right that I can get. I only need 20 colors. I have shown all the other reddish fabrics I have. I labeled them so don't be afraid to tell me what you think. I can move them around and take them out. If I have to go shopping again - I can - but I would rather not.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

What I want to make, in red
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200257[/ATTACH]

What I choose so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200258[/ATTACH]

other fabrics I can use
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200259[/ATTACH]

hopetoquilt 05-21-2011 03:46 PM

take a scrap of your fabrics to a photocopy machine and copy in back and white. Make sure the colors are in the correct order as to intensity or darkness (pardon my word retrieval issues at the moment). I am concerned that it should possibly be 2,3,1,4... I would also remove#16 and #15. In my eye, they don't quite fit in. I like B, F, G and H to replace anything you take out of your original line up.

QuiltE 05-21-2011 04:14 PM

I have no clue!!
... just *d*r*o*o*l*i*n*g*over the lovely fabric and hoping to learn about Bargello fabric selection!

ube quilting 05-21-2011 04:14 PM

I studied this color scheme for some time with my glasses off. My only judgement is about the lighter end of your collection. #'s 1, 2 and 5 seem very white. Ask if you want a stark seperation like the picture or a more soft and wavy look. Try switching those for c, g and e. I'm also sorry to say that the # of responses you get on the quest may be maddeneng so remember it is your creation. Your choices will be a wonderful blend and give the look you want. Good luck and keep us posted as you go. I'll be watching!

TonnieLoree 05-21-2011 04:27 PM

They will make a stunning Bargello with your placement as is. But, if it were me, I would replace #2 with your G fabric. Or simply eliminate #2 all together.

Julie in NM 05-21-2011 04:45 PM

I agree...#2 jumps at you...don't think you want that.

DogHouseMom 05-21-2011 04:49 PM

I'm converting colors now ... give me a few :)

Oh man ... it totally didn't work. I tried to hold my green color veiwer up to the screen and take a snapshot but the flash from the camera just made the whole color viewer a big white blob.

right off the bat though I'm going to say 1 & 2 need to be swapped. I would also add G after 1.

Let me try to download photo and convert. Perhaps I can do it better that way.

justwannaquilt 05-21-2011 05:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
take a scrap of your fabrics to a photocopy machine and copy in back and white. Make sure the colors are in the correct order as to intensity or darkness (pardon my word retrieval issues at the moment). I am concerned that it should possibly be 2,3,1,4... I would also remove#16 and #15. In my eye, they don't quite fit in. I like B, F, G and H to replace anything you take out of your original line up.

no need to take them to the copy show you can do it on the computer here are you fabrics in black and white.

I agree with the 2,3,1,4 switch but I also think 18 and 19 need to be switched so 18 would become 19 and vice versa! I don't know about 16 but I think 15 is more of a tan color when the rest of your fabrics come with a more red/pink hue.

sylviak 05-21-2011 05:21 PM

Just my humble opinion, but I'd go with: C, 3,G,4,6,5,11, 12, 9, 16, B, F, 14,10,13,19, H, 18,20,21.

I, too, took my glasses off (very near-sighted) and just looked at the fuzzy colors. I tried to eliminate the yellows, blues and green-brown...although you may like them in there. Still concerned about #4, but the rusty red fit. You could create more depth by dropping #4 and using a black-on-black at the dark end. You have gorgeous fabric!

cmagee84 05-21-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt

no need to take them to the copy show you can do it on the computer here are you fabrics in black and white.

I agree with the 2,3,1,4 switch but I also think 18 and 19 need to be switched so 18 would become 19 and vice versa! I don't know about 16 but I think 15 is more of a tan color when the rest of your fabrics come with a more red/pink hue.

How did you turn them to black and white???!!!