Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please Help Me Choose a New Ironing Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-choose-new-ironing-board-t156963.html)

cmw0829 09-30-2011 06:31 AM

Hi all, I read through many of the old posts on ironing boards but have a question that I didn't see addressed.

A few months ago, I bought a Rowenta iron. It's working great so far and produces lots of steam. However, they recommend a mesh ironing board - the top over which the cover is places is wire mesh. My current ironing board is solid metal with holes punched through it every so often. I find that my ironing board cover retains lots of moisture and takes forever to dry.

So...I am planning to replace my 30-year old ironing board.

Now...my question: I only have room for one ironing board and am tempted to get a 15" wide one. However, I read on a blog/post somewhere that it now limits your ability to iron clothes. In particular, the poster mentioned pulling the hip area of pants over the board (like a free-arm). The ironing board was too large to allow this.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Cathy

DebraK 09-30-2011 06:54 AM

do you iron a lot of pants? I don't ;-)

thepolyparrot 09-30-2011 07:03 AM

I haven't ever tried to iron pants (at least the leg parts) with the board inside the legs. I always press them flat from hemline up to the hip line so that there are creases front and back.

The last time I bought an ironing board, I bought the best one I could find. It adjusts from very low (iron sitting down) to way higher than I need it! How wonderful to get an ironing board up high enough for a change. It's 17" x 49". It's not mesh - it's got the diamond shaped holes punched in the top.

But, I replaced the cover with two layers of low-loft cotton batting and made a tight cover of two layers of cotton muslin. I never have any trouble with moisture in it - at least I don't think I do.

The huge OSB pressing board that I lay on top of the ironing board holds moisture in the batt and canvas cover, but not the ironing board, itself.

Get the sturdiest ironing board that you can - you spend a lot of time pressing and it's so much more pleasant when you aren't fighting one of those tippy little too-small boards. :)

And a sturdy ironing board will support a big plywood pressing surface so that you can press whole widths of fabric at once. :D

Grace MooreLinker 09-30-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
Hi all, I read through many of the old posts on ironing boards but have a question that I didn't see addressed.

A few months ago, I bought a Rowenta iron. It's working great so far and produces lots of steam. However, they recommend a mesh ironing board - the top over which the cover is places is wire mesh. My current ironing board is solid metal with holes punched through it every so often. I find that my ironing board cover retains lots of moisture and takes forever to dry.

So...I am planning to replace my 30-year old ironing board.

Now...my question: I only have room for one ironing board and am tempted to get a 15" wide one. However, I read on a blog/post somewhere that it now limits your ability to iron clothes. In particular, the poster mentioned pulling pants over the board (like a free-arm). It just wasn't large enough.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Cathy

I have the 15" wide one love it, it has mesh ,I have no problems ironing clothes on it. but ironing fabric sure is much easier. check them out..

cmw0829 09-30-2011 07:13 AM

Oops, edited my post. The issue that the poster had with the 15" wide ironing board is that the pants wouldn't fit over the narrow end of the ironing board.

Thanks for the replies. I do iron my pants after washing, so maybe iron 3 to 4 pairs a week. Not sure if that is a lot. :) 17" wide? Wow! I would love that if I had the space.

Scissor Queen 09-30-2011 07:17 AM

You're supposed to iron clothes? Shocking!! But ironing boards really don't take up that much space to store. You can hang one on the back of a door and only set it up when you iron clothes.

bearisgray 09-30-2011 07:20 AM

One could get one of those little portable ironing boards to set on top of the "real" one.

I love my Big Board - but occasionally I'll get out the sleeve board for a tiny area. I've even went to using a dowel when I was pressing the seams of Barbie Doll clothes.

Quiltlady330 09-30-2011 07:38 AM

I use my Rowenta on a regular ironing board that I made a topper for out of plywood (24x 48) covered with batting and mylar that sits on top. It doesn't shift around because my husband used 1x2 strips to make a track for it to fit.
I haven't had any problems in using it these last 2 -3 yrs.
I love the larger space for pressing fabric after it's washed.

clem55 09-30-2011 08:18 AM

If it has to be ironed( clothing) I don't buy it!!LOL But, I still have the ironing board I bought 53 years ago, and I won't get rid of it.

Jeanniejo 09-30-2011 08:23 AM

My daughter got me the big board for Christmas and I love it !! Unfortunately it takes up just enough more room that I can't leave it up as it's too heavy to move around whens its open and i need a bigger sewing room !!!!!