Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help me decide if this table will be worth it. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-decide-if-table-will-worth-t212027.html)

cathyvv 01-26-2013 02:37 PM

If you're tall, the height adjustable feature will be welcome and worth the extra money. However, if you are comfortable working (not sewing working, but kitchen working) on your kitchen counters and they are a standard height (measure them), then you probably won't need the height "adjustability".

I have a cutting table that is 37" in height. I thought I could extend it by lining it up with my dining room pub style table, but that is only 35.5 in height. Anyway, I'm 5'6" in stocking feet, add another 1.5 inches when in my sneakers (all the time I'm up), and am very comfortable with the 37" height.

cathyvv 01-26-2013 02:39 PM

I agree about the shelves re-inforcing the frame.

adamae 01-26-2013 02:59 PM

At Home Depot, I bought a 6' folding table added pvc pipe that fit the legs and they cut to my specs, also applied chair leg guards to protect the floors...less than 65 dollars, painted the pvc to match. Have two. one I use for sewing machine area and the other elevated.. I'm 5' 9" tall. Have a small folding table from Wmart about 25 dollars. I use 3/4" plywood cut to 24" X 8' or maybe 6' atop stacked storage boxes, cover with fabric from my stash and that's a good temporary table for picnics, projects, wallpapering,yard sales and makeshift buffet table. Home Depot is really good about cutting boards for the ladies. I have an old house with quite large rooms, in fact I use half of it for storage so I don't have to heat and cool all of it. Good luck choosing what suits you best.

suern3 01-26-2013 03:00 PM

I got my cutting table at Hancock about 3 years ago. It folds up like the one pictured, but instead of shelves it has drawers on both sides of the table which I really like. I don't remember the exact price but it was on sale, under $100. I have to set it up in my living room so really like how it folds up. I can just push it against the wall and then put a small seasonal quilt on top when I have to. It doesn't seem flimsy to me. Hard to move on carpet eventhough it has casters. The adjustable height feature on yours sounds good. We each just have to decide which features are the most important. Maybe you live somewhere where you don't have access to Hancocks, etc. and the free shipping is then really important. Good luck with your decision.

gramma nancy 01-26-2013 04:54 PM

I am concerned -- the ad says it is made of "lightweight metal." The adjustable height feature is really nice, but what good is it if the table is flimsy and moves when it should be rock solid? Perhaps you would be wise to wait til you can check out a table in person and really wiggle it and subject it to the kinds of movements it will be subjected to when you use it.

I know many people have price-y "hobby" furniture, some of it imported, they really like. But I have been very happy with a table I literally took from my neighbor's curb on trash day. It's an old cafeteria-style (8 or 10 seat size) table that weighs a ton. It doesn't budge no matter what I do, even sew at very high speeds.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sandygirl 01-27-2013 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 5814442)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sullivans-...Specifications

The link has the Sullivans Adjustable Home Hobby Table listed at Walmart for $229.99 today.
I like the fact the height can be adjusted from 29'' to 38''. I like the shelves in the middle to store rulers, etc.
I would use it to cut fabric as well as move it by my sewing machine when quilting space is needed behind my sewing machine. It ships free to the house.

The one review gave it 5 stars. Has anyone used this table before. I appreciate your help. Thanks :)

I agree with everything you stated. The table looks like it has good support on each side. Ou could return it to Walmart if you don't like it.

Not knowing if you have a budget range but have you considered looking at mobile kitchen islands? I brought mine to my sewing room after we remodeled our kitchen. It is the right height and it is on wheels, has storage shelves behind doors. I love my island. There are so many to choose from these days.

Based on a 5-star review, give the walmart table a try.

Sandy,

Amythyst02 01-27-2013 04:06 AM

Like alot of others here I have the one from JoAnns. It does not have the shelves, or is it adjustable. Mine is very great, and I love that it folds up. I would not put my sewing machine on it, though. Wal Mart is super good on returns and I think if its what you want, and can afford the table, go for it.

bigredharley 01-27-2013 04:17 AM

hmmmm embarrassed to say I'm still using the dining room table....I'll be checking Craig's list today myself, but not ruling out that one.

jcrow 01-27-2013 04:32 AM

I own one from Walmart just like this. First, I thought about buying a kitchen island with a fold up flap, but it wasn't sturdy. This is made for just what you want. If you don't like it, Walmart has a 30 day return policy - no questions asked. I try not to shop there, but I have to because that is all we have in our small town. I bought this table and have been very happy with it. I raise and lower the side of the table. It's very sturdy. I love the shelves. I keep tubs of fabric on them. I also have 2 long tables that my 23x70" cutting board sits on, so I put my smaller cutting board on this. I love the adjustable height option. You can find one 'like' it for less, but not the same one for less. I would go for it. I am very happy with mine. Lots of room. It adds so much to my sewing room!

copycat 01-27-2013 04:34 AM

Thanks for the link that reviewed the table. It is expensive because it has been made sturdy with the heavy steel frame and shelving. There is another table that is newer with 2 large drawers vs. shelves and it is wood grain.
It is not adjustable. I will have to check on the cost and where it is sold.

I appreciate all the great ideas from all.