Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help me figure out this problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-figure-out-problem-t23500.html)

QuiltMania 07-30-2009 05:42 PM

My machine (1970s Montgomery Ward) has been having a problem for the past couple of days and I'm trying to figure out what the problem area is so I can attempt to solve it before taking the machine in for servicing.

It sews fine for a while but then tiny loops appear on the bobbin side of the seam. They aren't very big but they allow me to pull the bobbin thread right out of the seam with no resistance.

I thought that maybe I was somehow losing tension as I sewed but adjusting the tension doesn't seem to make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bearisgray 07-30-2009 05:51 PM

1) first thing, always rethread the top and bottom - even if you know it's all right

2) have you looked at the bobbin tension?

3) do you still have the manual?

4) is your needle still good? have you tried a new new needle?

I'm sure some of the other members will have more suggestions.

Good luck with the machine. Aggravating when it doesn't perform like it's supposed to.

lyndawn 07-30-2009 06:55 PM

I had the same problem with my old machine. Sometimes changing the needle helps. If it doesn't, try using a different bobbin. I had found that sometimes the bobbin wasn't getting wound right and it would cause that issue.

Lynette

azam 07-30-2009 07:52 PM

If the bobbin is wound too tight or too loose it can cause this problem. Try rethreading both top and bottom as already suggested. Check your top tension also, if it's too loose it causes bearding or eyelashes on the bottom of your fabric. A friend of mine had this problem and it turned out was that she wasn't threading the machine correctly, check your owners manual. I hope one of these suggestions helps.

earthwalker 07-30-2009 08:01 PM

I agree, changing the needle re-threading and a new bobbin could do the trick. I had a similar problem with my old Singer, the bobbin wasn't sitting in it's bed properly, so check that and remove any stray bits of fluff and dust while you're at it. Good luck.

shaverg 07-30-2009 08:04 PM

I agree especially try changing the needle.

nursie76 07-30-2009 08:07 PM

All those suggestions are good. I found that my old machine would do that if the area around the bobbin case got full of lint. Try giving the machine a good cleaning, especially in that area. I usually found this after sewing on flannel. Good luck.

omak 07-30-2009 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
All those suggestions are good. I found that my old machine would do that if the area around the bobbin case got full of lint. Try giving the machine a good cleaning, especially in that area. I usually found this after sewing on flannel. Good luck.

A good cleaning ... one of my friends had to tell me that it meant: taking the throat plate off, so that you are really seeing down behind your bobbin casing ... and the track of the feed dogs.
I took one of my machines in because it quit advancing the fabric ... long story short ... the next time it happened, I could hear my friend saying: CLEAN THE MACHINE!
I almost missed it, but between the feed dogs ... the lint from the fabric was stuffed in there so tightly it was actually FELTED! Take the bobbin and the bobbin case out if you can and also, after cleaning, are you oiling your machine? A drop of oil on your finger and rub it on to the place that the bobbin casing slips into ...
I don't know how accurate it is, but I use my thumbnail to check how firmly the bobbin is being wound. I have heard that if you do this process too quickly, the bobbin will not wind properly - - moderate speed was recommended.

sewhappy57 07-30-2009 09:47 PM

Check to make sure your bobbin is in right, it's a silly mistake I do all the time. Good luck!

Ninnie 07-31-2009 04:47 AM

Mine had done that, and after t=removing the bobbin and the holder and cleaning, it was alright.