Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-share-your-best-money-saving-tips-quilters-budget-t65244.html)

cbridges22 09-18-2010 08:04 PM

I use dryer sheets after I have used them as foundations for piecing.

ConnieF 09-19-2010 01:53 AM

I agree with Chele scrap quilts are great...
ConnieF

Oh and I would only ues sheet if they was 100% cotton. No blends on the back of a cotton top...

My tip I use is to cut straw's and place on the thread holders and put 2 spools on one peg.... I have 2 of the 120 holders full of doubles seperated by 30 and 40 weight embroidery threads.... works great....

ConnieF 09-19-2010 01:54 AM

oh and I must add I seen in a news letter tonight use the bread slicer holder for you rulers....

bonniebusybee 09-19-2010 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
I agree with Chele scrap quilts are great...
ConnieF

Oh and I would only ues sheet if they was 100% cotton. No blends on the back of a cotton top...

My tip I use is to cut straw's and place on the thread holders and put 2 spools on one peg.... I have 2 of the 120 holders full of doubles seperated by 30 and 40 weight embroidery threads.... works great....

Ooooooh! I like this one, using straws on my thread holders! I just doubled my space from 60 to 120 spools! What are you doing running around giving tips at 4:00 a.m.? And what am I doing reading them at this gosh-awful hour? Must be the name ...... I'm a Connie, too.

bigsister63 09-19-2010 03:11 AM

Check internet for patterns and instructions. There is so many free patterns and instructions on quilting. You may never have to buy a pattern again!

ganny 09-19-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I always use 'stash buster' patterns. By that, I mean that there is no wastage. I make the scraps into fancy borders, or cut the fabric from strips so that there is nothing except a minimal squaring up scrap that is left over. Not much fussy cutting in this house! One criticism I received from a member of the quilt guild I belong to was, "I don't like your quilts - they always look like you've made them from scraps." AND THAT IS RIGHT.

That is what a scrappy quilt is!!

nvater 09-19-2010 05:58 AM

When I lived up north, our children wore cordoroy(spelling?). After the knees wore out, I cut off the backs of the legs, then into squares. This made several soft but MANLY quilts for my father-in-law and dad!

Yarn or Fabric 09-19-2010 06:06 AM

Craigslist & Freecycle are sometimes a great place to get stuff.

We have several thrift stores in town that sell fabric. One of them measures then folds the fabric. I have gotten some gems there. They only charge about $1 a yard which is sweet.

falcon 09-19-2010 06:42 AM

My daughter gave me many of her reels of cotton as they kept breaking. I use them on my bobbins, but today the colour I needed was one of those reels. After much frustration and many breaks of the cotton, in desparation I sprayed the reel with my water sprayer and lo and behold sewed for another hour and a half without a single break.

I also use clear plastic cutting boards from the $2 store for cutting my templates. I get 2 boards for $2. They are great as you can see through them when fussy cutting.

adrianlee 09-19-2010 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Keep all extras of batting larger pieces for QAYG wallhangings or bing together for smaller Quilts, toss all scrappies into bins larger @ smaller pieces. And chain stitch as often as possible. Paper bags for templates, old candy, cookie tins for all the small stuff (w/a label) no fun going thur 10 tins for spool of thread :)
Good Ideas above !!

Me too! I also save cereal boxes; when they are empty, I cut them down and they are used in crafts and my new hobby making altered books. I save all my batting scrapes, use them in totes, purses, and potholders. Cheap thread I use for basting, save the good thread for permanent sewing. Love thrift stores, yard sales, etc. I keep a little Sew Bank I put a little savings into, this is for that rainy day or something I know I can't live without having thinking really hard on it.