Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Polyester Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/polyester-batting-t202055.html)

jackiemc 10-01-2012 04:38 PM

Polyester Batting

I have a large amount of Mountain Mist 100% polyester batting is this alright for a quilt or is something else better? Thank you

QuiltnLady1 10-01-2012 04:42 PM

I would say it is OK -- I would preshrink all fabrics since the batting won't shrink. Other than that, the quilt may be a bit warmer and loftier (depends on the loft of the batting) and you can generally quilt further apart. I would not use if if someone is going to wash the quilt in hot water -- not sure how the batting will react.

spokanequilter 10-01-2012 04:42 PM

Depends on how you want the finished quilt to look. The polyester batting would be "cushier" or fluffier. A cotton batting has a lower loft and will look flatter. I've never used polyester, so I can't tell you how it is to work with and I don't know about warmth. I'm sure someone else here can help.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-01-2012 04:45 PM

You've already got it, so I'd say use it. I use Mountain Mist on occaision. It gives a different look than 100% cotton. Not a bad look just different. Cotton shrinks and makes a quilt look older and crinkled. Mountain Mist stays flatter. It's all a matter of taste.

Buckeye Rose 10-01-2012 04:50 PM

The polyester will not shrink, will be warmer, and will do just fine in a quilt....quilting requirements are usually on the bag, generally closer than cotton batting....I use poly for a smoother less wrinkled look in my quilt

crashnquilt 10-01-2012 05:01 PM

Be sure to check the batting before you use it. I have had Mountain Mist batting have several thin spots which do not quilt well. I use poly batt most all the time unless the quilt is to be used in warmer climates.

Lori S 10-01-2012 06:33 PM

I have several packages of this batting from years ago. I use them , and double bat my quilts. One layer of Warm and Natural , one layer of the Mountain Mist. It makes a warmer quilt than just the warm and natural. Its a bit puffier but not much. I do not quilt these two batting quilts myself , they go to the Long Arm Pro. Many... many moons ago Mountain Mist was pretty much all I could get for batting.

Tartan 10-01-2012 07:27 PM

I've made many a quilt with Mountain Mist polyester and still make an occasional one with it. My nieces always request a fluffy quilt and I use it for them. I do find a 80/20 mix easier to FMQ with, so I use it most of the time now.

GrannieAnnie 10-01-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 5555281)
I would say it is OK -- I would preshrink all fabrics since the batting won't shrink. Other than that, the quilt may be a bit warmer and loftier (depends on the loft of the batting) and you can generally quilt further apart. I would not use if if someone is going to wash the quilt in hot water -- not sure how the batting will react.

It doesn't hurt to run the batting thru a very short cycle, either. Sometimes it sucks itself up a bit.

Prism99 10-01-2012 09:00 PM

It's not necessary to preshrink fabric that will be used with polyester batting -- as long as you do a "normal" amount of quilting. Quilting binds the fabric layers to the batting so that the batting controls shrinkage. IOW, when quilted, the fabric cannot shrink more than the batting allows. This doesn't work with tied quilts because the fabric is not "one" with the batting; for tied quilts, or for quilts whose quilting lines are far apart, you do need to preshrink the fabric to avoid distortion from fabric shrinkage.