Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it possible to have... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/possible-have-t58536.html)

Honey 08-09-2010 02:15 AM

to much stash? I know that we laugh about the one with the biggest stash wins, but seriously, when is enough enough? I have 10 good sized totes, so by no means do I have the most, but I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed by all of it. I have been trying to shop my stash when I start a new project, but the seems to always be one more fabric that I have to get to complete it. So naturally, when I'm looking for that "one" fabric I see a couple more that I just can't live without. Can anyone say OCD? Does anyone else feel this way?

donnajean 08-09-2010 02:23 AM

Yes, If you get so much that you have no idea of what you have & seldom look through your storage containers and your paying for storage facilities, you have too much. My sister had 2 houses full of fabric, books, etc. but did not have cash for food when she was losing her battle with colon cancer - too sick to work or collect unemployment. I did not get to spend as much time with her as I would like to as there was no place left to sleep and I was 300 miles away.

lots2do 08-09-2010 02:27 AM

Yes. And when you start to feel overwhelmed, listen to what your mind is telling you. I'm trying to cut back on speculation buying as well and also find that I need to buy something more to go with what I already have. But I did take a workshop with Carol Doak and was able to pull what I needed from what I have.
Donna Jean - what a sad story. I can't imagine going through that with a loved one.
lots2do

raptureready 08-09-2010 02:29 AM

Mine's at the point that it's too much. Yet I still keep buying. Saturday I bought a tub full of fabric at a garage sale.

lots2do 08-09-2010 02:35 AM

One last thought before I get ready for my day...I saw a cute jar block (paper pieced) in one of my quilting books. If I could allow myself to buy one or two food related fabrics in a small amount for a quilt with those, each time I go to a fabric shop, then I could still satisfy my 'need' without causing my stash to explode.
Quilt shops are one of my favorite places to go. Would hate to go cold turkey.
:)

Honey 08-09-2010 02:41 AM

Donna, I'm so sorry about your sister. It just strengthens my idea that to much of even a good thing isn't good. It can be so easy to get carried away. I know I can't stay out of my lqs completely, there are some things that I truly do need, but I'm going to try not to buy any stash stuff until I empty at least one tote. All of this just reminds me how materialistic (no pun intended) I have gotten and I don't like it. Time to make some changes and get back to basics!!

mygirl66 08-09-2010 03:22 AM

Funny, I was thinking that very same thing yesterday. I went to an estate sale Friday morning, they put in he ad tons of fabric, so you know I had to go. They had a box of bags at the door to this womans sewing room with a sign above it FILL A BAG FOR $2. I had 4 bags full, and a cutting mat.What a rush. Then I went to Jo-Anns to get their Warm & Natural for $5.99 a yard, I thought 5 yds was enough for right now, then I saw fabric with bones on it, had to get 2 yards, then saw a stray piece of fabric for .75 with a Halloween print on it, had to get it too. When I got home, and tried to put everything away, I just stood there going, "omg, where am I going to put it all", I am out of room!I do trade, pay it forwards, and eveything in between, but I have to stop for now. I use to have a storage unit, full. I got that cleaned out, and will not go back to the mess I had before. I made myself a promise no more fabric till I get at least 3 more tops done!( I piece in the warm monthes, quilt in the cooler/cold monthes because I hand quilt). If you need support to not buy anymore fabric untill you get some of yours gone, Im here for ya!

thismomquilts 08-09-2010 03:29 AM

If one is spending money one does not really have for fabric - it's too much. I have not worked outside our home since August and have been very very grateful for my large stash - I have used it more than ever in the past year. RARELY have I gone to the store to BUY fabric - I go often with friends -they are amazed that I can walk away with nothing... not saying it's easy - but is do-able - oh, btw - I'm headed out to JoAnn's this morning with a friend - I've tucked $20 into my purse (just in case ;) )

Patty Patches 08-09-2010 03:36 AM

If anyone needs storage space,they can store it at my house.(he-he-he)

dgmoby 08-09-2010 04:15 AM

I feel the same way. I started feeling a little overwhelmed by all that I had a couple of years ago. I realized my taste was changing, I was tiring of some of it and had no more space. This left me with a lot I wasn't crazy about any more, but still needed to use. So I went on a 'Only-Buy-What-I-Really-Need' spree.

I went from a large walk-in closet with 18" deep shelves floor to ceiling, to 2 rolling carts (6 drawers each from IKEA) and 2 shelves of backing/larger cuts. I like it this way. I have a great variety, still use the old and buy some new for each project, don't break the bank, and am not as cluttered. Just recently, I've bought a few new pieces just for stash. My friends were amazed that I could pass up the sales and walk away empty handed, as was the LQS owner (who said I really impressed her, and she was happy not everyone felt this way, although she admitted she did too!).

I believe, it's too much when you start feeling like this. Then it's simply time to use some up, or donate some, and once that's done - you can reward yourself :) But I have no intention of ever having that much fabric again. I simply no longer see a reason for THAT much...some yes, too much no.

Just my thoughts...