Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Possible Silly Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/possible-silly-question-t216051.html)

yweinst 03-10-2013 04:56 PM

Possible Silly Question

So I've now quilted a few quilts and I've tried various ways of measuring to cut my fabric, using the ruler for my lines and using the mat lines for my measurements. So my question for all of you is how do you measure to cut so that everything comes out "perfect"?

Silver Needle 03-10-2013 05:04 PM

TruCut Rulers and matching rotary cutter. http://www.graceframe.com/site/rotarycutting/ruler.

kaelynangelfoot 03-10-2013 05:08 PM

I use the ruler, make sure its all square and then cut measuring on the ruler.

DebraK 03-10-2013 05:22 PM

there is no perfect, but if you use the same way every time, you get closer. it's not just about the ruler. your sewing seam matters as well, maybe even more.

sewmary 03-10-2013 05:25 PM

I use the lines on the matbto line up my fabric and ruler, if that makes sense.

PaperPrincess 03-10-2013 05:33 PM

I only use the marking on the cutting mat for general cutting or to line up the crease. I try and use the same ruler for the entire project. Different brands of rulers can be off just a bit.

BellaBoo 03-10-2013 05:51 PM

That's why I use the Go die cutter. At least my cuts match each other perfectly. I took a precision piecing class and the most important thing after accurate cutting was to sew S L O W as slow as one stitch at a time. If the fabric pieces to not match like they are suppose to, stop and find out why. Don't keep sewing more. It seemed like it would take forever to make a top this way but the more I did it the better I got at piecing. No frustration of miss size blocks made up for the extra time.

DogHouseMom 03-10-2013 07:05 PM

I used to use my mat to measure ... and I always had problems. Now I always use a two ruler method.

note ... I'm right handed. Reverse if you are left handed

First ... get a nice clean straight edge on the right side of your fabric.

Now ... place your 'cutting ruler' to the left of where you want to cut. Place your 'measuring ruler' to the right of your cutting ruler and use this ruler to measure from the straight edge on the right side to the desired length (ie if you need a 6" strip - place the 6" mark on the right edge of the fabric). I like to use as large a measuring ruler as possible to make sure that my 6" is the same at the top of the strip and the bottom of the strip. If I'm cutting length of 26" I'll use a 12" ruler. Make sure that the edge of the fabric sits directly under the 6" marked line. Using rulers with thin lines helps.

Now hold your measuring ruler in place and slide your cutting ruler up against the edge - making sure it is square to the entire edge of the measuring ruler. Check your measuring again to make sure it didn't slide. Hold your cutting ruler firmly and remove the measuring ruler. Now make your cut along the edge of the cutting ruler.

If you are cutting something that has already been cut on one side (ie cutting the squares from a strip) I will make sure that my measuring ruler is square to both the top and bottom cut edges when I measure. If it is off a little ... I will re-square the right edge of the fabric until my measuring ruler squares up to all three sides (top, bottom and right) then slide my cutting ruler into place and cut.

I have also switched to Creative Grid rulers and LOVE them!! I have 12.5, 9.5, 6.5, 4.5 squares and a 24" rectangle and a little 2.5 X 6.5 rectangle. Since I got these I have not used any of my other rulers.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that I learned this method from Sally Collins "Mastering Precision Piecing" book and video. If you want to learn more about all the little things that can make piecing precise (very important when doing little pieces - which is my passion) then I highly suggest that you get the book and the video.

NJ Quilter 03-11-2013 03:31 AM

Personally, I think the most important factor is to use the SAME tools/method throughout a project. Consistency is the name of the game. I use the lines on my mat to line up fabric but use the measurements on my ruler for cutting. Unless it is for a cut larger than my ruler then I am forced to use the mat's markings. I don't like the 2-ruler method of measuring - too much slippage for me, plus I don't have 2 of the same manufacturer's rulers so the mat markings work. Those pieces usually are then sub-cut, so I might have a tendency to cut a little on the 'heavy' or larger side (i.e. might end up 12 1/8" vs a true 12") but I can usually use my other rulers to sub-cut to the exact measurements. EXCEPT when doing half square triangles...those I always cut larger (the inch measurement vs the 7/8" measure) and then trim down. Works better for me.

Painiacs 03-11-2013 03:34 AM

I use the june taylor cutting matts. there r slots for lining up edges and cutting. as long as fabric is strathat's cuts are great!!! g