Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Postage to America (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/postage-america-t77931.html)

jitkaau 11-23-2010 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
Terrorists have cost us more than lives. May be because I am not a terrorist, I don't understand their thought process. Why do they feel they have to terrorize innocent people. Americans and other reasonable people just want to live in peace.

And now this fee, I don't understand the point of the fee. It certainly doesn't keep terrorists from mailing something, they don't care about an extra fee.

Fear is always a good motivator for revenue raising.

jitkaau 11-23-2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
The fee will just make a red flag. Hopefully you will take a pic of what you are sending once it is boxed up and then email to those who you are sending to and see if they were opened and riffled threw. It is supposed to be illegal. but that doesn't stop the post office. My uncle sent my bro some equipment and powders and chemicals to make rubber. the post office not only opened up the package but dumped out the packets of powders and chemicals. they are probably still cleaning up the mess that they made. hehe jokes on them I guess.

When I lived in England, in the 80s, family sent me jars of Australian confectionery for my birthday. When I got the parcel, all of the chocolates and sweets were mixed up and put back as mixed lots into whatever jars they would fit in. There was no need for it, as the jars were transparent. After "trying" or testing the contents, I can only imagine how many hands went through the lot to put them back in the jars. I threw them out, wondering why they even bothered to continue to send the parcel.

np3 11-23-2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Hey, anybody get felt up by a TSA agent yet? Looking forward to traveling this year, oh yea. Gees! LOL

We will be driving from now on. No more airports for us.

How stupid to think that a terrorist would balk at paying extra to get a bomb through. Duh!

Dee 11-23-2010 08:50 PM

What a world we live in today.

tooMuchFabric 11-23-2010 11:34 PM

O lordy, such distastefulness. I'm sorry about the inconveniences to everyone. I wish things were not in this condition in the world.
And how much fabric or books is 500 grams, anyway??

Suziuki 11-23-2010 11:43 PM

500 grams is approx. 17.6oz.

justflyingin 11-23-2010 11:53 PM

It sounds like the limit is one pound as Americans understand it.

GailG 11-24-2010 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Someone recently tried to mail a bomb in a printer from Yemen to a Jewish church in Chicago. I suppose this new fee is to try to stop such things. It's a shame that this stuff always ends up being a pain to honest people.

And the dishonest ones will continue to do what they do...whatever the cost.

Heather Hayllar 11-24-2010 04:38 AM

That is ad news!!
My dtr lives in the Carribean and ALL mail goes through the US!!
So much for christmas! :roll:

Maybe1day 11-24-2010 03:09 PM

Honest people always suffer. The fee will not stop those that want to do harm.
God help us all.[/quote]

Can't agree more with the above statement. A more skeptical person than I might just assume though that is is a great excuse to bump up the charges in a manner which be more more palatable to customers. I am in the international RR swap this year and on round 2, already over the 500gms so am in for an expensive swap for the remainder. Will definitely have to rethink next years projects now. Such a pity to as this is heaps of fun.

Maybe1day