Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   postage rates for books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/postage-rates-books-t147062.html)

Vanuatu Jill 08-22-2011 11:52 AM

Just a bit of info for people selling (or buying) books on the board-my PO advised if we are sending books (not mags), request the "book rate"-it is less. He said if you have (like I was sending) one or two quilting books, soft cover, about 100 or so pages each, and it will fit into a plain manilla envelope, it will cost less than a flat rate envelope. I have two books going out in one envelope at $2.83 and one going out at $2.48. He says if they are magazines, they contain advertising, so you don't get the same rate as the book rate. It is good to know to keep postage down when sending books-not to just assume the flat-rate $4.95 is cheaper!

jmabby 08-22-2011 11:54 AM

Yes, media mail is much cheaper, but cannot have any advertising in the books.

donnajean 08-22-2011 12:06 PM

You have to be very good at packaging as USPS is brutal on books. I have received manila envelopes totally ripped open. With Media Mail you do not get the "free" Delivery Confirmation" that you get when using USPS.com website.

Zhillslady 08-22-2011 12:28 PM

I find it takes quite q while. A member sent me one 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting.

luvstitches 08-22-2011 12:31 PM

I was told that you can't have any correspondence with
the books as well. I mailed two books to a friend and wrote just a tiny note that said, enjoy from me on a piece of paper. She put it thru anyway but for next time...books only.

ManiacQuilter2 08-22-2011 12:56 PM

I bought a quilting book on eBay from a seller located in Kansas. It took over TWO months before the book finally arrived. At that point, she had already refunded my money but I then informed her that it arrived and paid her for the book again. It even had a delivery confirmation. I had called numerous times and no one had any idea where the package was. It arrived very dirty but the book was fine. I have had TWO problems with packages getting to me sent via media mail. I prefer sending items first class mail but the weight limit can not exceed 13 oz. You learn a lot about the Postal services and which ones works best by selling. Priority mail is handle usually with care while media mail is not as important to them.

momcpo 08-22-2011 12:57 PM

I just say "Media Mail".

gaevren 08-22-2011 12:59 PM

Yes media mail is cheaper but it is also very much a "when they feel like getting around to it" service. It can take a long time to receive anything that way and the condition of the package is not always very good either.

You get what you pay for!

4dogs 08-22-2011 01:36 PM

I know its the rule, but seem to me that OLDE magazines have NO advertisments that would be any good, years and years later...wonder why you can't send that as media mail?

amma 08-22-2011 01:58 PM

If you remove the advertisements from the magazines, could they then ship Media mail?