Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   power back on! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/power-back-t150357.html)

sherian 09-04-2011 11:50 AM

In Va. storm came and it took many very large trees.
I was without power for 7 days. No power no water and , almost all stores, gas stations, grocery stores, resturants, etc. We got water from people without wells to flush toliet.
internet and TV came back today on 8th day.
Through I keep thinking if I had a treadle sewing machine
I could make it. I could really get some things done on my
quilts. I had to settle for embroidery. It worked somewhat. So glad the row of trees that fell behind my house were on in woods and not my house. Many trees fell on cars, houses and sorry to say 4 people. I am glad I
had my Bible to read, my family 4 houses of them all ok.
I really need to catch up on quilt talk. Have a great day.

Airwick156 09-04-2011 11:56 AM

Glad you are safe and have power again. :) Keep safe.

GreatStarter 09-04-2011 11:57 AM

So glad your whole family is safe. Welcome back to the world of electricity!

Kat

4dogs 09-04-2011 12:00 PM

So glad you are ok..I think you have a great reason to buy a treadle machine. I just got one, and the reason = we loose power a lot in the winter time here (in the mts. and live in the forrest) and with the treadle machine, I can just keep right on sewing, in daytime anyways.

luv-e 09-04-2011 12:01 PM

Glad your house was spared

HAPPY DANCE for power :!: :!: :!:

mpspeedy 09-04-2011 12:04 PM

Hi, Glad you finally got your power back. I moved into the rural outskirts of Baltimore when I married 34 years ago. The first time we were without power was a real eye opener. We had a lot of outages here in Maryland. I was very fortuneate, just the week before the storm the local power company had been trimming trees in our area. Many of our local roads were closed because of fallen trees and wires. We had no power outages in our immediate area but many were not so lucky. Our grown children all live at least an hour or more from us in 4 different directions but still in Maryland. The youngest boy and both girls were without power for at least 5 or 6 days. Our youngest daughter at least lives where there is municipal water. She had water but no power. The other two, like us rely on wells. One has an in ground swimming pool so at least he could get in some water and had a supply handy for flushing toliets etc. His elder sister had to go and visit our eldest son to make use of his shower etc.
Many of the schools in our area where not able to open this past week because there was no power to the school or else the community around them was in the dark.
Without power we decend into the "dark ages". I can't cook, use any electronic devices or flush my toliet under those circumstances. At least it wasn't the dead of winter. I actually would have at less of a problem since I have a wood stove and the heat from candles or laterns would also have been welcome.

caliquocat 09-04-2011 12:16 PM

Welcome back ladies! I hope this never happens again.

merry 09-04-2011 02:22 PM

Welcome back Sherian. Thankful you & family are safe. My family & BFF live just South of Richmond. Their power was restored Thursday late afternoon. Have been following damage & fatalities on internet.

klarina 09-04-2011 02:32 PM

Glad to hear you are back and OK. Take care.

maryel 09-04-2011 02:43 PM

So glad that you got your power back! I was without power only 3 days and that was bad enough. I ended cutting out strips of fabric for a Trip around the World quilt that is my next project and didn't even iron the fabric before I cut, which I NEVER do, but.... you gotta do what you gotta do! :-D