Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Practicing some more--check down some (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/practicing-some-more-check-down-some-t7005.html)

barnbum 05-10-2008 11:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did a few squares with the even feed foot on. I learned that I can do things like a zigzag IF it's the width of my foot away so I can follow the line. If it's farther--I can't do it. But that's okay. If I use the foot I'll be doing in the ditch anyway. And if I zigzag--it'd be in a small place--like the middle square of a table runner.

Then I switched to free motion. I labeled the #1 try at stipple, the #2 and #3. Can you see it actually got better??? :thumbup: My daughter came in in the middle of #3 to tell me her GPA, so I goofed. (It was so good--the GPA!! :D )

I really like the ones I put a star next to. Some of the bad ones were an attempt at clouds--oh boy--kind of sad. :lol:

BUT, I'm learning which designs I CAN do--so I'll just stick to those. :wink:

OH! The first time I worked on it--my thread broke. It was making strange unsmooth lines before it broke--bumpy. I switched to "machine quilting" thread and it was much better. But, I have to say the back looks smoother than the front with both threads. Ideas?

amma 05-10-2008 11:21 AM

You are on a roll, you will be free motioning every design you want before you know it! You are catching on very quickly, I can't wait to see what you do the next time you sit down to practice :D :D :D The oops is totally understandable when give such awesome news! :D :D :D

sewnsewer2 05-10-2008 11:38 AM

Looking good! I just learned how to free motion myself. I still need lots of practice tho .

Izy 05-10-2008 11:56 AM

Karla isn't great fun, once you get over the initial nerves!!! :D

Well done to you....stick with it I can see some serious competition going on between you and I.....thats healthy isn't it - just a bit!! :lol: :lol:

sondray 05-10-2008 02:07 PM

Wow, that's great. You've given ME hope. :) :)
I, too am a beginner, you're an inspiration.

tlrnhi 05-10-2008 03:18 PM

Great job! Keep up the good work!

Leslee 05-10-2008 08:03 PM

Karla--Great start, kiddo! It'll get better and better with practice. When I do the free-motion stuff, I toss a favorite CD into the player and sing along while I stitch. Meandering's lots of fun when you find you're swaying along to the music!! I also like to have plenty of practice squares of batt sandwiches made up. Sometimes I'll sew the dickens out of one of them before taking on the real quilt. It's worth the extra thread once you feel your confidence kick in!

Janstar 05-10-2008 09:01 PM

That gives me inspiration to try free motion again. The first time I tried it was'nt so good. I quess practice is the answer. Nice work Karla.

blahel 05-10-2008 10:22 PM

you are doing great Barnbum! And i think i will try Leslees tip of putting on a favourite CD and with Michael Buble on i cant help but sew smoothly!!

Maria C 05-10-2008 10:38 PM

You have done a great job. Honestly, you are going to be doing it more now you have begun. Your samples look like you had fun and gave anything a go. The more you do the better. I'm so pleased you gave it another try. Keep up the great work and do venture into using it on an actual quilt too and you will be staggered by how much more confidence you will gain with the repitition.