Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prairie Points (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prairie-points-t2560.html)

live2teach 10-02-2007 08:18 PM

It looks beautiful to me! I don't know much about Prarie Points but yours looks great!

quiltmaker101 10-03-2007 06:03 AM

Dumb question, but is it possible to add prairie points after a quilt is quilted? The stitching goes to the edge, so I'd have to add them to a binding. I never added these to a quilt before, and didn't even think of it til I saw this post.

Somehow my quilt that is made of very square, straight rows of blocks ended up wavy after the quilting. I am hoping that I could make it less noticeable with an edge that isn't straight.

Thanks!

Steve 10-03-2007 08:13 AM

As far as I know it is a before thing, but I suppose you could take the quilt apart if you really wanted, but why not just make a new one?

Also I found this line in the instructions at McCall’s that you might have missed on a cursory reading:

"Trim off batting and point of seam allowance on each corner."

The part about "trimming at point of seam allowance" could be key.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 10-03-2007 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
Dumb question, but is it possible to add prairie points after a quilt is quilted? The stitching goes to the edge, so I'd have to add them to a binding. I never added these to a quilt before, and didn't even think of it til I saw this post.

Somehow my quilt that is made of very square, straight rows of blocks ended up wavy after the quilting. I am hoping that I could make it less noticeable with an edge that isn't straight.

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but the quilt on the episode of Alex Anderson I saw a forever long time ago with the PP's didn't have a binding, the PP's served as the binding????????? I don't know how it was done or if it was really done that way. That was a while back, and I was still learning, as I am now.

Nina 10-03-2007 09:48 AM

No picture posted yet - am still tacking down the kitty ears on the blocks. Once that gets done I'll photo after I baste to the backing.

Found good info from you ladies. Thanks! (And, I did the points incorrectly, so in case I decide not to pull them off, just ignore them when I post the photo.)

Love the one shown - such bright and cheery colors!

live2teach 10-03-2007 08:24 PM

I can't wait to see it! It sounds like you were having the day I had yesterday. I was trying to put a shelf together and I swear that I looked at each part to make sure I was putting it together correctly, well then MIL happened to notice something was wrong..haha needless to say I took different sections apart 3 times. After that I was almost afraid to sew anything.

Suz 10-04-2007 07:07 AM

I would say "yes" to adding after quilting to the edge. Remove the binding and save it as you may need it later (for facing).

I made a quilting for my great-granddaughter and had it quilted on a long-arm. The edge called for prairie points. After squaring the quilt, I added them to the outside of the quilt using a 1/4" seam. I added a bias facing piece to the back of the quilt. I trimmed as closely as I could to the stitching, pressed toward the facing, turned under the edge and then hand stitched.

I had used 30s fabrics for this quilt and cut the facing from all of the fabrics used which added a bit of charm to the back. I was very satisfied with how it turned out.

Suzanne

quiltmaker101 10-04-2007 10:43 AM

I have decided to sew the prairie points to a one inch strip of binding. I will have them the proper distance apart so they cover the edges perfectly, and I won't be taking the quilt apart.

I will then press the seam allowance over and attach the other side of the strip to the edges of the quilt top. Then I will sew a matching, pressed binding strip to the backing. I can sew it shut all the way around (through the binding strips) with the points sticking out.

I think this should work.

Thanks for all the suggestions!