Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pre-printedquilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-printedquilt-top-t183249.html)

misspriss 03-18-2012 12:36 PM

Pre-printedquilt top

Has anyone hand quilted a pre-printed top with embrodiary thread? Were you happpy with it. I have one that is about the color of our regular qb pages(lt lt tan)
and I would like to do it in brown. All suggestions are welcome.

MS quilter 03-19-2012 05:33 AM

INHO, you will not be happy trying to quilt with embroidery thread. You can buy brown quilting thread. I'd try that first!

gramarraine 03-19-2012 05:43 AM

I have quilted pre-printed tops with Knit CroSheen crochet thread. I made the stitches a little bigger than regular hand quilting stitches. I liked the way it turned out.

Holice 03-19-2012 07:33 AM

Severa years ago I saw (in a show) one of the "Pennsylvania Folk Art" preprinted quilt top quilted in several different colors of thread. It was beautiful. The quilter used regulr hand quilting thread for the quilting of the motifs and off white for the grid.

Tartan 03-19-2012 07:40 AM

I think it might end up looking like candle wicking? I like the look of candle wicking and you should be able to find some examples on the web. I think a preprinted panel would look pretty with embroidery thread. I would use the big stitch method of quilting.

raedar63 03-19-2012 07:42 AM

I have done it several times and loved it. I am not a follower of the perfect quilter ruls club though lol,I do use a bigger stitch too :)

pal 03-19-2012 09:03 AM

I used a pre-printed panel with a Pennsylvania Dutch motif that I got at Jo-Ann's so that I could learn how to hand quilt. I used regular Hand quilting thread, which is a little more dense than regular thread, and had so many flowers that I could keep quilting or stop at any point, and it would still look complete.

Then I found a site that showed how to do continuous prairie points - which are so much fun (!) and added that to the quilt.
This may be my favorite quilt so far.

Re: the embroidery thread. I have embroidered since childhood and still do - a lot. As you pull embroidery thread through your fabic you may find that it has a tendency to shred. I have only found this recently, in the last few years. This is something to consider.

Scissor Queen 03-19-2012 09:23 AM

You might also want to look at the cost of embroidery thread to quilt a whole quilt. There aren't that many yards of thread in a skein of floss.

AshleyR 03-19-2012 10:48 AM

I love them, but I can't imagine going through a quilt sandwich with embroidery thread! For my last project, I didn't have any stabilizer, so I just used some scrap cotton and it was so difficult to get it through! And that's without batting! Those needles aren't designed to do that! And the thread broke way too much. I'm glad it was a small project!

feline fanatic 03-19-2012 11:14 AM

Embroidery thread or floss? Isacord is a 40wt machine embroidery thread and it is one of my all time favorites to use in the Longarm and I imagine it would work just fine hand quilting.
But if you are talking embroidery floss, the 6 strand stuff that comes in skeins commonly used for hand embroidery I can think of easier things to use to acheive the look you want. I think it would fray and break easily having to pull through all the layers unless you slid it down the needle a tad with every needleful of stitches. I have used 3 strands of floss and tied a quilt and it worked well but even with 3 strands and tying I had a lot of breakage from the strain put on it going through all those layers.