Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pre-washing fabric questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-washing-fabric-questions-t7832.html)

GMarie 06-05-2008 06:11 AM

Good morning,

I pre-washed some fabric for the first time last night (for a swap that requires it) and have some quesitons for everyone:

- What can I do to stop the sides from fraying? I've read about clipping corners, zig-zag, washing on gentle... is there anything else? I lost a good 1/2 inch of fabric from fraying... I can't imagine what it would do to a fat quarter. :(

- If I use starch when I press the fabrics after drying, will they regain their crispness (one of the reasons I never have prewashed is that I really like the crispness of the fabric when piecing).

- Would just soaking the fabric count as washing for a swap?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom! :)

zyxquilts 06-05-2008 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by GMarie
Good morning,

I pre-washed some fabric for the first time last night (for a swap that requires it) and have some quesitons for everyone:

- What can I do to stop the sides from fraying? I've read about clipping corners, zig-zag, washing on gentle... is there anything else? I lost a good 1/2 inch of fabric from fraying... I can't imagine what it would do to a fat quarter. :(

- If I use starch when I press the fabrics after drying, will they regain their crispness (one of the reasons I never have prewashed is that I really like the crispness of the fabric when piecing).

- Would just soaking the fabric count as washing for a swap?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom! :)

I have had some luck with clipping the corners off...but it didn't always work for me. :( I have some friends that serge the edges before they wash - I think the zigzag would be the same - and they don't ravel.
I wouldn't wash a FQ in the washer, but I think if you washed it in the sink or a big bowl, that would work (and count! lol)
To get that pre-wash crispness back, you could use either spray starch or spray sizing. Sizing is what's on it when it's new.

Good luck! :D

kathy 06-05-2008 06:37 AM

I've never been in a swap but when I buy BOM kits they give you much to spare so I just soak them in very warm water for a few minutes then lay them on a towel to dry and then starch and iron because I like that crispness too, I think it cuts better.

Minda 06-05-2008 06:50 AM

I trim all of the cut edges using a rotary cutter with a pinking blade before I wash. If I'm washing more than 1 1/2 yards, I also sew the two ends together with a zig-zag stitch and then cut it off before I iron. I use the express cycle on my washer, and if I'm only washing a few fat qtrs, I wash them in the sink. I dry them in the dryer with a couple of clean OLD towels, which helps dry the fabric very quickly (less tumbling).

Katrine 06-05-2008 07:52 AM

I wash by hand in the sink. I fold FQs into 3 folds then in half, all raw edges enclosed. Larger pieces fold in the raw edges and fold loosely. Only warm water, then cold rinses. Charms and eighths I put inside a folded clean cloth to wash. I drip dry, or charms and eighths I roll in a towel. It takes longer but I wash as I buy so I keep up with it.

Moonpi 06-05-2008 07:58 AM

Soaking is not going to help with shrinking cause by agitation or heat. Next time you're at a Dollar Tree or any dollar store, pick ip a lingerie washing bag. They are wort their weight in gold. For larger pieces, I've zigzagged edges, too, using loose, wide stitches that are easy to take out.

GMarie 06-05-2008 10:23 AM

Thanks for all your responses (I knew you wouldn't let me down)! ;-)

What is the difference between sizing and starch? Where would I find sizing? Why would you want to wash (to get it off) and then put it back on (just curious) - or is the main reason for washing to avoid shrinking?

Knot Sew 06-05-2008 10:56 AM

You treat your fabric the same as you would a quilt......hot water fades, harsh detergents are a no........Hand wash and hang or damp dry , then iron. If you use a machine use fragile cycle. I only wash if I have to or the colors are such that I want to test them. Do it your way.......no quilt police allowed here :D

GMarie 06-05-2008 01:54 PM

Yay!! I don't like quilt police... :oops:

mic-pa 06-05-2008 04:10 PM

I have always prewashed my fabric for a couple of reasons. Allergies being the biggest. Fabric is made with many chemicals so I try to get that out of my fabric first, Second I want to know if the fabric is going to bleed or not, and I use the Color Catchers you buy in the grocery store in the with the fabric. If the pieces are small, like fat qtrs or charm squares they go in a net lingere bag so I don't loose them in the washer. but to each his own. Some people never wash their fabric. Marge