Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Precut charm squares, are they really suppose to be exactly 5" square? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/precut-charm-squares-they-really-suppose-exactly-5-square-t178761.html)

Jeanniejo 02-09-2012 11:07 AM

Precut charm squares, are they really suppose to be exactly 5" square?

This is the first time I have used precut packaged charm squares for a quilt class at my LQS. After getting them all arranged on my design wall I realized that the really aren't 5" squares. They all very 1/8" to 1/4" and some are just off square. All of them have to be cut to be 5". Is this normal for precuts like charm squares and jelly rolls? Do you just use them the way they are or square them all up? I squared mine up as thats what I was taught in my beginner classes. It was a LOT of squaring !! At this point I could cut them myself and have a better cut. Is it just me or should I deal with it? What do you do?

quiltsRfun 02-09-2012 11:15 AM

I think it depends on where you get them. The charms I've gotten from fabric manufacturers like Moda, Kaufmann, etc. seem to be accruate. However, I purchased a number of charms on eBay that were cut by the seller and some were off in size or weren't square. These were set aside to be used in other projects where I could square them to the size required.

sewmary 02-09-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 4958900)
I think it depends on where you get them. The charms I've gotten from fabric manufacturers like Moda, Kaufmann, etc. seem to be accruate. However, I purchased a number of charms on eBay that were cut by the seller and some were off in size or weren't square. These were set aside to be used in other projects where I could square them to the size required.

Ditto. manufacturers are the best source although they are not always perfect either!

Tartan 02-09-2012 11:29 AM

I don't depend on precuts to be accurate because sometimes the're not! I buy them more for the variety of colours/patterns from a collection.

jcrow 02-09-2012 11:54 AM

I bought a charm pack from Moda and put a quilt together only to have it end up not being the right size. The charms weren't exactly 5 inches. I didn't check first. I still have to take it all apart and start from scratch. Do you measure the charms from the outside edge or inside edge?

hperttula123 02-09-2012 11:58 AM

That is one reason I don't buy pre cuts anymore. I've gotten a few bad ones and I would rather just buy yardage and cut my own. That way if they are off...it's my fault.

Sadiemae 02-09-2012 12:19 PM

I think the charm squares that have pinked edges can sometimes be a problem.

gollytwo 02-09-2012 12:22 PM

it's a lot cheaper (and more accurate) to cut your own.

Daylesewblessed 02-09-2012 12:22 PM

I never buy pre-cuts. There is no sense starting out the project with a problem!

Dayle

Lori S 02-09-2012 12:54 PM

What you are saying is the exact reason I do not buy precuts. The ease of getting a good coordinated variety is lost when I am left with frustration because I have to re-cut .