Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pressing after sandwiching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-after-sandwiching-t125370.html)

EagarBeez 05-24-2011 07:16 AM

Does anyone press their quilt after sandwiching? I am making a lap quilt. Fabric could use a little pressing...are there any pro's or con's

fraydknot12326 05-24-2011 08:20 AM

I press the top seams as I go and a little more, if it needs it, before sandwiching. I press the backing only if it is really wrinkled or if I have to piece the back, I'll press all the seams.

HTH ~ :D

ps..this is not a quilt rule .. just the way I do it .. :D

tooMuchFabric 05-24-2011 08:21 AM

My only thought on this is, if there is any polyester content to your batting, be careful not to squash or melt the batting with high heat.
Personally, I press my top before sandwiching, and then never again.
Probably get lots of different thoughts on this, though. It's wonderful to get lots of input as we do here on this Board.

ckcowl 05-24-2011 08:38 AM

your top and backing should be nicely pressed-wrinkle free before sandwiching.

alikat110 05-24-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl

This is what I do.

amma 05-24-2011 09:12 AM

I press it all before sandwiching too. You could carefully press it now, but as already stated, be cautious with poly batting :D:D:D

justwannaquilt 05-24-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
Does anyone press their quilt after sandwiching? I am making a lap quilt. Fabric could use a little pressing...are there any pro's or con's

If what you have done is sanwiched it and then put it "away" to quilt at a later date, now you're dragging it out and you find that the fabric is wrinkles then YES I think you would be OK to PRESS NOT IRON.

However if you are talking about acutally pressing seams that were not pressed prior to sandwhiching. I woudn't, you would end up with seams going every which way and chance lumps and bumps along the way! In this case I would take it apart and press the top then resandwhich! :/

EagarBeez 05-24-2011 10:06 AM

no seams, just the quilt top. It looks a little bit wrinkled. Nothing about seams

Kas 05-24-2011 11:50 AM

I don't because I mark my quilting pattern before I sandwich. If I pressed it after that I might set the marking lines and that would be bad. I am with Justwannaquilt. It is small enough to unsandwich and press.

bearisgray 05-24-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl

If it was nice and wrinkle free before sandwiching - it should be okay now - even if it does look a bit rumpled after unfolding it after storing it for a while

But if it was wrinkled before assembling it - you will save yourself (or your quilter) a lot of aggravation later if you take it apart and press it now.