Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing as you sew... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-you-sew-t49876.html)

quiltinghere 06-16-2010 04:12 AM

I PRESS and sew - I like the way it looks! :)

Guess you have to find out what works best for you and the outcome of the quilt blocks.

Honey 06-16-2010 04:27 AM

The way it was explained to me is that there is a difference between pressing and ironing. When you press, you do one section and then lift up the iron and put it down on the next section. You don't slide the iron like you do with ironing. That way you don't stretch your fabric. She said that is why it is called pressing. You place your iron, press down, lift and place your iron on the next section, press down and so on. I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you. I always press as I go because it gives you a crisper seem to work with and is just so much easier than a seem that is not pressed. Also, it helps your seems and corners come together better.

feline fanatic 06-16-2010 05:44 AM

I have always pressed as I sew but I sew assembly line style so I will sew many units then take all the units and press. I will often be completing several blocks at the same time.

pocoellie 06-16-2010 05:47 AM

I sew then press, but I'll usually work on more than 1 block at a time, so I sew a few blocks, then press.

sharon b 06-16-2010 06:18 AM

Most of the time I have just sew and sew , but I stick to basic squares .

MistyMarie 06-16-2010 06:25 AM

I have a triangle (of sorts) set up in my sewing room. I place a travel ironing board on my hamper basket (since I am in my laundry room/sewing room), then my cutting table is low and right behind me, so I can sit and cut. On the other side is my sewing table. I strip piece, turn and press, (square up if needed on my cutting table), then turn around and sew again. My chair is a roll-around, so I don't have to get up out of my chair once to finish an entire block (or more).

Boston1954 06-16-2010 06:30 AM

I have done both over the years. I recently did the push it that way and sew over it with my Tan and Brown Log Cabin. I found that they do not always face the way I wanted, but I am not too particular when I am just making it for me.

athenagwis 06-16-2010 06:32 AM

I work in a very small space, so I have my sewing machine set up on a table that also functions as my ironing surface. There is a small space (probably 7-8 inches) in front of my machine where I can easily press a seam open, then I have a larger space to the right where I can iron the whole block when done. I like this set up because it makes it easy to press as I go, which I do. But if I had to actually get up to press, I probably wouldn’t quite honestly. Way too much moving around for me!

Cheers!
Rachel

SewExtremeSeams 06-16-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by ritamaew
Each owner told me that you simply lay the seam which way it should go and sew it in place.

I just had a light bulb moment!

Rita

Rita, I know what you mean! When the first owner told me that, I repeated my question a few times. :lol:

SewExtremeSeams 06-16-2010 08:09 AM

Dorothy: both said whole quilt they don't press. They each make gorgeous quilts!

ctack2: I agree on the method difference of pressing/ironing. I was pressing and still having problems.

ckkowl: I agree