Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To Prewash or Not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewash-not-t200208.html)

sikesjj 09-11-2012 12:18 PM

To Prewash or Not?

Do you prewash your quilting fabric or not? I am a new quilter.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-11-2012 12:23 PM

You will get dozens of responses on this. Quilters are divided. Many prewash everything and won't go near a piece of fabric that has not been washed. Others wash nothing. One thing they all seem to agree on is washing batiks because they nearly always bleed. Most agree that prewashing flannel is required because it typically shrinks so much. (Unless it will be a rag quilt and then most don't wash it.)

It all comes down to read, research, listen and do what feels comfortable to you. If you don't wash, it might bleed. If you do wash, you might have lots of extra ironing to do.

cowpie2 09-11-2012 12:24 PM

I almost always prewash. If I have white and any strong colors I'm worried about bleeding. I've also noticed that not all fabric shrinks the same. I've seen on line here where alot of people generally don't pre-wash. But I figure the extra work is worth it if I avoid a bleeder or one that shrinks excessively.

QuiltnNan 09-11-2012 12:26 PM

i wash all my fabrics when they come in the door... that way, they are always ready for use and i won't get any bleeding or shrinking problems later

Scissor Queen 09-11-2012 12:54 PM

I don't pre-wash anything. Batiks, flannels, reds, none of it gets pre-washed.

Do what makes you happy and don't worry too much about what everybody else does.

LivelyLady 09-11-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5507152)
You will get dozens of responses on this. Quilters are divided. Many prewash everything and won't go near a piece of fabric that has not been washed. Others wash nothing. One thing they all seem to agree on is washing batiks because they nearly always bleed. Most agree that prewashing flannel is required because it typically shrinks so much. (Unless it will be a rag quilt and then most don't wash it.)

It all comes down to read, research, listen and do what feels comfortable to you. If you don't wash, it might bleed. If you do wash, you might have lots of extra ironing to do.

Very good advice:thumbup:

rush88888 09-11-2012 01:32 PM

i am on the fence about this, but i tend to NOT prewash. of course, i haven't had anything bad happen.

frustratedquilter40 09-11-2012 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5507238)
I don't pre-wash anything. Batiks, flannels, reds, none of it gets pre-washed.

Do what makes you happy and don't worry too much about what everybody else does.

I also do not prewash even batiks.

with one exception I do prewash my flannels:

NikkiLu 09-11-2012 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=frusratedquilter40;5507327]I also do not prewash even batiks.

Oh goodness! I only prewash my batiks in my pure white kitchen dish pan and had a blue one one time that every time that I squeezed it it squirted out blue ink - just like an octapus squirts out ink. I had to finally throw it away.

ckcowl 09-11-2012 02:52 PM

it is a personal choice- if you have a hand-dyed fabric or a batik that is very saturated color (deep purple, red, blue ect) you may want to at least test it to see if its' going to run or not- (wet it & rub with a paper towel or white piece of muslin-see if color comes off)
if it's flannel it will shrink more than other cottons- so if you are mixing fabrics- using flannel & regular cottons in the same project you will want to pre-wash the flannel- if you are using flannel for a raggy quilt don't bother-
if you simply not sure- make yourself 2 small quilts- one with pre-washed fabric- one with not washed fabric & compare the outcome- see what you like-
i personally prewash if...i am concerned about a color running, if it feels funky- if it smells funky- if it is stiff & i want to soften it up-
if none of the above are an issue i may or may not bother-
i ALWAYS wash my finished project as soon as the binding is finished- no matter what- doesn't matter if the fabrics have been pre-washed or not- last step is to launder the finished project.