Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Price difference JoAnns vs Hancocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/price-difference-joanns-vs-hancocks-t105446.html)

Lakelady 03-06-2011 10:44 AM

Yesterday I went to JoAnns to buy a June Taylor 1/4" strip cutter with a 40% off coupon, the price was 29.99. Since I didn't intend to use it right away and not knowing if there was a bigger one deceided not to buy. Off we go to Hancocks. Looking for a bigger ruler than JoAnns' I found the same ruller for 21.99. Eight dollars difference, talk about profit margin. Since I also had a coupon for Hancocks I thought I could live with the size. At the check out counter it rang up on sale for 13.19!! No coupon and still cheeper than JoAnns would have been with the 50% off. Since I'm lucky enough to have these two stores within a few miles of each other I will be sure and compare prices in the future.

SherriB 03-06-2011 10:48 AM

Wow! That is a huge price difference! It really did pay off to shop around.

AlwaysQuilting 03-06-2011 10:52 AM

Wow that is quite a difference. I'm glad you got such a good deal.

I've noticed that the Sunday paper sale flyers have diff. prices for the same stores in diff. locations.
I once threw my Sunday paper in the car and drove to Cincy. While there I compared sales flyers (from the same stores) that were in my DDs Sunday paper.
Cincy was more expensive for the same items.

Lori S 03-06-2011 11:12 AM

I think Jo'Ann's is marketing to the percieved value. If you get 40 - 50 percent off with a coupon you think you got a good deal.

cmagee84 03-06-2011 11:27 AM

I have found that to be true in my area. The markup is based on the area, not the store. Doesn't seem fair!

Lv2sew2011 03-06-2011 11:30 AM

That really cool to know, I notice that Hancocks also a lot cheaper than Hobby Lobby as well!

CarrieAnne 03-06-2011 11:43 AM

WOW! I wish we still had our Hancocks, I loved our store!

Vanuatu Jill 03-06-2011 11:45 AM

Quite often if I am wanting something like a ruler or other notion, I go on-line and compare different places for the same item before deciding if I will get it at Joann's. One thing I always factor in is postage/shipping. It is a little hard to compare fabric because the brands Joann's carries aren't the common ones most other places carry. I have also noticed lately, the Joann's near me have clearance items amongst the regular stuff. I got an insulated (for ironing) pad with organizer pockets to put under my machine-for $5.49--regular price was marked 19.99. And I got to use my 20% off coupon on top of that. I have found other gadgets that way, as well. I try to always price shop if I plan a purchase-problem is, once I am there, I can't help myself if I have coupons, I just don't want to waste them!

judy_68 03-06-2011 11:49 AM

I think the coupons are just a way to get you in there. You still have to be careful. I very seldom shop for fabric anymore. I would rather buy from people who want to get rid of their stuff.
Judy

CarrieAnne 03-06-2011 12:02 PM

I went to a LQS who had great prices on their Accuquilt stuff....and I always thought they would be higher. It really pays to check before you buy!