Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Price for Machine Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/price-machine-quilting-t169281.html)

NIICHMOM 11-21-2011 07:16 AM

Price for Machine Quilting?

I am fairly new to quilting, I have always done my own quilting on my Sears Sewing Machine, (bought in the '70') or by tying them. But I am doing alot more piece quilting,
and I would like to have them quilted by long arm quilting. But I have never read or heard how much does one charge for long arm quilting. How much for a baby, single or queen size quilt... size or job. Could some enlighten me on this. THank You in advance..

mic-pa 11-21-2011 07:19 AM

I think it all depends on who is doing the quilting, what stryle of pattern you choose and where you have it done. I always send my larger quilts out to the LA to be done. Yes, it gets costly, however there is no way I can do it myself. I have paid as little as $25. for a small one and as much as $112.00 for a KIng size. Hope this helps.

Sew N Tune 11-21-2011 07:57 AM

I just paid $113.00 for a full size, plus $16.00 for thread. This was a panto design, no custom work involved.
It's worth it to me. I just can't get the hang of FMQ.

JanTx 11-21-2011 07:58 AM

A friend does mine - $40 for lap, $60 for twin - haven't had her do any larger than that. I do crib and smaller laps myself. I've also paid $60 for a large lap - also to a friend. Both these ladies didn't take in much work and were limited in what they could do with a quilt - basic quilting only - but more than I could do on my domestic machine. I still use them only for special quilts or larger ones.

Bjbaxter 11-21-2011 10:16 AM

Wow, you guys get great deals! I have only had 3 quilts done by a longarm quilter - the first one was a king and it cost me $398! The other 2 ranged from lap size to twin and ran between $125 and $150.

Treasureit 11-21-2011 10:22 AM

I
tT depends on where you live on pricing. I paid over $100 for a twin by a local shop. Charismah, from the board here, did a queen size for a very reasonable price and did a much better job, but shipping get expensive. I just had a local lady do a twin and I will use her again. That one was part meandering and part custom. Start asking.

EllenwoodGa 11-21-2011 10:25 AM

I think you ladies have gotten bargins. I have only had 2 quilt done by LA and the price was much more. for a lap quilt I paid $95. I had a quilting instructor that charged even more and her price didn't include the binding. If she put the binding on that would be another $25.

valleyquiltermo 11-21-2011 10:27 AM

My prices depend on the size and pattern you want quilted. Also if you provide the batting and binding.
Any where from $30.00 to $250.00 unless I provide the batting and do the binding which adds to the cost.
Thanks, Donna

luvstoquilt 11-21-2011 11:25 AM

I just had a double bed size done for $125 (batting included but I supplied the backing). Another quilter here is more expensive but does an outstanding job..He is more like $175. I do some of my own by hand but it takes such a long time and I have so many I want to make. Sigh...I love the work I have seen from LAQers on the board but none live nearby and shipping gets expensive. If you hear of a reasonable quilter in Illinois please send me a PM asap! Good luck!

ckcowl 11-21-2011 12:01 PM

there is a list of long arm'ers here on the board- catagorized by location- check the list, find someone in your neck of the woods- look at their work to see if you like the type of quilting they do- and send them a pm- they will be happy to send you their pricelist and guidelines- everyone is different-
some charge by the project itself- some charge by the square inch...like 1 1/2 cents a square inch-
some only do panto's=edge to edge patterns- some do custom work- some are computer guided, some are all free=handed- the prices vary as much as the techniques- and skills.
we really do not (normally) discuss prices on the open board- that is more a private message exchange.