Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pricing question on pre-cuts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pricing-question-pre-cuts-t70248.html)

Favorite Fabrics 10-15-2010 05:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Forum readers, I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Windham Fabrics has some wonderful designs, and they also offer pre-cuts for at least some of their collections. Their price for their FQ bundles seems okay to me, but their Fat Rolls (5" x 44" strips of fabrics, rolled up) seems way too high.

So before I order any of these types of pre-cuts for my shop, I would like to know how it seems to you.

Here are pictures and prices from Fat Quarter Shop, a reliable website that has pretty much standard-retail prices for the newer collections.

The Seville FQ bundle has 32 fabrics and is priced at $84.99, so that's 8 yards, which works out to a price of $10.63 per yard.

The Fat Roll, is priced at $69.99, and with 32 fabrics works out to 4.44 yards, for a price of $15.76 / yard.

Now it's fun to have a little bit of every fabric in a collection, which is what makes the pre-cuts a nice idea. But the fat roll contains just a tad more than half the yardage as in the FQ bundle, and it's not very much less in price.

As I look at it, the Fat Rolls are just NOT a good value. Since Windham doesn't do jelly rolls, I suppose if you need the full width of the fabric and want a little bit of everything you'd have to go with the fat rolls but... seems to me it's definitely overpriced.

What say you, wise and financially-savvy quilters?

FQ bundle - 32 prints
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106979[/ATTACH]

Fat roll - 32 prints
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106980[/ATTACH]

kathy 10-15-2010 06:27 AM

I haven't bought any precuts yet, but the size of the fat roll is what I would like IF I bought but not for that price, that's just out of the question.

hobo2000 10-15-2010 06:32 AM

I stay away from the fat rolls and the FQ bundles. I generally do not like all that matchy matchy fabric. I rather pick and choose each of my FQ to get exactly what I want. I do like the convenience of the 5" square packs for a quick quilt.

cbridges22 10-15-2010 06:48 AM

To expensive for my taste.

Annaquilts 10-15-2010 06:50 AM

I would not buy it and would get the FQ. I always figure out what it costs me a yard. I buy a good amount of quilter's quality FQs but do not own a roll yet.

luvTooQuilt 10-15-2010 06:50 AM

Too expensive for some. I'd thinking and hard before I spent that much.

stewyscrewy 10-15-2010 06:51 AM

way too exspensive dont get them

Candace 10-15-2010 07:01 AM

I would never pay that much for a precut. Ouch.

athenagwis 10-15-2010 07:04 AM

I agree, I always figure out the cost per yard with pre-cuts, I expect them to be slightly more, but not that much more. I would not buy that at all. I would pay the extra $15 and get the FQ bundle myself.

Rachel

retired2pa 10-15-2010 07:07 AM

I've looked at other pre-cuts at Fat Quarter Shop and thought they were very expensive compared to other shops on the web (IMHO). I love pre-cuts and have bought several jelly rolls, charm packs, dessert rolls, layer cakes and turnovers to use in my quilts. They certainly are convenient and I like that all the fabrics coordinate. I would shop around if it were me :)