Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pricing Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pricing-quilts-t198435.html)

GrannieAnnie 08-26-2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5462431)
thank you, I am so tired of hearing "3 times the cost of the materials." No one EVER suggests to a painter that he sell his painting for 3 times the cost of materials, or a woodworker, stained glass artist, or whatever.
If I get my materials on sale, and then cut them into tiny pieces and piece an intricate design, 3 times does not even come near what I am going to charge. Now if you want a quilt with just 12" squares, OK. Maybe.

Same goes for knitting (& crochet), I can buy a big skein of Red Heart Yarn for well under $5. There is nothing I know of that I would use all that yarn for and then sell it for $15. I'd give it away------but sell it? NOT HAPPENIN'

Farm Quilter 08-27-2012 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5468518)
This is just not true and there are court cases that prove it. It's a frequent topic of discussion here as a search will show.

Unless you actually signed a license agreement when you bought the pattern, the designer has no say in what you do with works made from it as long as you do not claim it as your own original design. She can neither forbid you to sell it nor charge you a pecentage.

Thanks, Ghostrider! I talked to a shop that is the outlet for this particular designer and that's what she told me - 10% of the sales price to the designer of the pattern. I paid my money for the pattern and I think that's all the pattern designer deserves. Boggles my mind to think of how much control this particular designer wants with something I created. I know designers work hard to create their patterns, but they get paid for that work with the sale of the pattern and that should be the end of it!!! I really appreciate you clearing up this matter!!!

wolph33 08-27-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5462431)
thank you, I am so tired of hearing "3 times the cost of the materials." No one EVER suggests to a painter that he sell his painting for 3 times the cost of materials, or a woodworker, stained glass artist, or whatever.
If I get my materials on sale, and then cut them into tiny pieces and piece an intricate design, 3 times does not even come near what I am going to charge. Now if you want a quilt with just 12" squares, OK. Maybe.

I agree -3 times the materials may have worked for construction a long time ago-but quilts.The skill of the quilt piecer/quilter,etc is a factor.

Boston1954 08-27-2012 11:03 AM

Paying skilled labor wage $20 per hour (Don't you consider yourself trained and skilled in this craft?)

Materials $141 - $200
Labor (130-810hrs) $2600 - $16,200
Total $2741 - $16,400

I think I would ad in electricity for the sewing machine and light to work by, and gasoline to get to the store to buy the materials. If someone were doing this as a true business, they factor in everything.

That was VERY interesting, by the way.