Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Print when "off-register" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/print-when-%22off-register%22-t148803.html)

bearisgray 08-29-2011 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An example of a print that is on and off register

A has "slipped" - there are white areas where there should not be

B is still "okay"

Honeynga 08-29-2011 05:36 PM

I'm sorry,I don't have a clue what you are talking about......maybe someday :)

ecmoore 08-29-2011 05:50 PM

When things are printed, there's typically a pass through a roller made for each colour. In this, there'd be red, blue, green, and black. When something's off register, that means that one (or more) of the colours is no longer printing where it should. On the examples above, the most obvious indication is that the red "dot" in the centre of the white flowers is right in the bottom, but in the top one, it's off centre, moved a little up and to the right (as these photos are oriented.) This means that as the fabric had all the "red" printed on it, something was out of alignment, and it didn't print correctly.

Usually, if the manufacturer catches it, they'll either scrap the run or sell it as "seconds" - to a discount fabric store or thrift store, usually. Sometimes they don't catch it, and you end up with part of the fabric just looking a little funny.

This happens in all manner of print shops - I notice it most often in grocery flyers, the kind printed on newsprint, where they don't have the time or money to scrap the run, but just go with it.

As an aside, one of the reasons there are "dots" of each colour used in the print along the selvedge edge of the fabric is to ensure proper alignment - so if you're questioning as to whether a fabric is "right" or not, check the selvedge edge and if the ink is perfectly within the circle (or square) then it's fine, but if one colour is way out of the lineup, pass on it.

Airwick156 08-29-2011 06:05 PM

I didn't notice that. You have to really look hard to see it. Or at least I did.

donnaree59 08-30-2011 03:52 AM

Does this make the first fabric somewhat "lesser" quality? I looked at it closely this morning and I could see what you are talking about...couldn't see it late last night. I know I have some fabric like this; I remember thinking that it didn't quite look "in focus". Nothing I could really put my finger on, but something was definitely off...

bearisgray 08-30-2011 03:59 AM

I try to avoid prints that are "off-register" when I can.

Sometimes only part of the width is affected/afflicted. It can be right on by one selvage and off at the other selvage.

Sometimes it does look "intentional" - until one gets a piece that is "on"

ecmoore gave a good explanation. Thank you.

Holice 08-30-2011 05:08 AM

i use the off register or misprinted fabric as bindings. Sometime I can get a large chunk of fabric that will show a section of the print as each color was added. I grab it because the misprinted make great coordinated bindings for my crib quits. One time I got a bunch of fabric by the pound that was supposed to be a tropical underwater scene with tropia fish etc. The first couple yds were so smudged you can't tell what it is. but it makes great bindings.

Favorite Fabrics 08-30-2011 05:25 AM

Fortunately, off-register printing doesn't happen as often as it did 30 years ago. I remember when I used to see LOTS of fabric that came through like this.

Funny thing is... sometimes the more "mod" fabrics are designed so that some of the colors are intentionally off. You can tell when it's done on purpose, because the same color is off to the right some places, and to the left in others. If it was truly mis-printed, it would be off in the same direction all the time.

I can't wrap my mind around why you would want a fabric that's printed "off", whether by accident or on purpose. So I would never buy any of those! :|