Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Printers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/printers-t26178.html)

BarbS 09-28-2009 08:05 AM

Hi:
I am looking for a new printer and would like to get one that I can use to print pictures on fabric for memory quilts. Can anyone recommend a printer that does a good job on this.
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Barb

bearisgray 09-28-2009 08:13 AM

I was wondering about that, too.

Does it require special inks or powders for fabrics? (Or whatever it is that makes the marks) Or special setting processes/techiniques?

I know that if I get the paper wet from something I printed with my printer, the inks run all over the place.

kwhite 09-28-2009 08:17 AM

In my experience. (not alot) you will do best with a top fed printer. Thise that feed from the bottom the fabric has to do a "U" turn and it tends to jamb more. with the top fed the fabric only has to do a 45 degree angle and less chance of jambing.

justwannaquilt 09-28-2009 08:21 AM

To print on fabric you need an ink fixative such as Bubble Jet Set, this can be bought from Dharma Trading Co. or other places online. Then to get the BEST picture quality you need a photo printer that prints lab quality photos.

You would have to take the fabric you are going to print on, soak it in the solution. let it dry, then iron it onto a piece of freezer paper cut the paper and the fabric to 8.5x11 so it will fit in the printer. Then you would need to use Bubble Jet Rinse to remove excess ink, Bubble Jet Set, and add extra fixatives to the fabric that keep it from fading!

joeyoz 09-28-2009 09:20 AM

I have an HP Photosmart printer and it does great. As for printing on fabric you have to prepare the fabric (I use Bubble Jet Set) before you print on it then you set the ink with Bubble Jet Rinse. The fabric is irond on to freezer paper to put through the printer. That's how I make a lot of my quilt labels too.

you can go to http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/Bubbl...t_2000_s/3.htm to check it out.

Hope that helped.

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I was wondering about that, too.

Does it require special inks or powders for fabrics? (Or whatever it is that makes the marks) Or special setting processes/techiniques?

I know that if I get the paper wet from something I printed with my printer, the inks run all over the place.

BarbS 09-28-2009 09:20 AM

Thanks for your information. Does anyone have a printer that they use for this that they would recommend?

patricej 09-28-2009 09:54 AM

a Canon printer that uses the pixma (pigment) ink. it's almost colorfast without bubblejetset.

please note that i said "almost". if you don't pretreat with bjs, the canon pixma ink will run and a lot of it won't wash out.

pretreat with bjs and you can hardly tell the difference between freshly printed and washed-after-printed.

i have a Canon PixmaPro 9000. it's pricey (over $400) but will print on sheets up to 14" x 28".

Rose Marie 09-28-2009 12:58 PM

I have never done photo fabric yet.
Just wanted to vent about my printer, the HP Photosmart C4280, It gobbles up ink like crazy and costs a fortune to keep replacing or refilling.
It has a very small cartridge but costs as much as printers with larger cartridges. Dont buy one of these.

Debbie1 09-28-2009 02:44 PM

When I did my grandson's photo quilt, the fabric I used called for an inkjet printer to be used. I have an HP Photosmart printer. I bought the paper from cjenkinscompany that was pretreated and then after printing I set with the Bubble Jet Rinse. Worked pretty slick

Maribeth 09-28-2009 03:34 PM

PatriceJ: I have that printer, just purchased it at Staples, wanted to do some larger prints for my DH initially. But, wow the ink was expensive, almost another $125. I think the printer was on sale for $288. Good to know it is the same one you are using, makes me feel like I know what I am doing.

Debbie: If I understand you, when using the Printed Treasures type fabric sheets, I don't need to Bubble Jet Set, just Bubble Jet Rinse?