Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Printing Problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/printing-problems-t19074.html)

Sheree from Chicago 04-16-2009 10:54 AM

I am in need of some experienced advice.
I recently purchased photo fabric (or paper backed fabric) for inkjet printers (thicker than regular copy paper), and Carol Doaks Foundation Paper for piecing (much thinner than regular copy paper, but better for paper piecing as it does not loosen your stitches when ripped out).
I have an HP OfficejetPro Inkjet All In One Printer and both of these different papers get jammed in my printer.
I am eager to try these two techniques for quilting that are new to me but feeling frustrated.
Any advice is most appreciated!

amma 04-16-2009 11:09 AM

Have you tried feeding them through one sheet at a time? Other than that I have no other advice :?

kluedesigns 04-16-2009 11:17 AM

i have to feed both of those products thru 1 piece at a time thru the manula feeder section on my printer.

the foundation paper is so thin the printer doesn't think there's paper if i don't shove it into the rollers and i have to shove the paper back fabric thru because the rollers aren't stronger enough to get a good grip if i don't shove it along.

Sheree from Chicago 04-16-2009 12:05 PM

Thank you both so much for your response and advice. I will try one sheet at a time.

Bill'sBonBon 04-16-2009 02:24 PM

I have a HP Photosmart inkjet. I have used both kinds of paper in my printer. Maybe you could try one sheet of either of your kind and one sheet of regular copy paper. Your printer should be able to handle what you are doing. Sometimes The printer needs a piece inbetween especially if it is very thin and a in between if it is very heavy why I don't know :roll: . If this doesn't help you should contact HP they have a web site and ask them what to do. Good LUCK
BillsBonBon

Moonpi 04-16-2009 05:28 PM

I don't have an HP, but on my Lexmart, the paper adjustments are under the "Properties" . The software that came with the printer should have settings to prevent jams listed in the Help section

littlehud 04-16-2009 05:35 PM

I didn't have any problems with mine, but I did feed it through one piece at a time.

mimisharon 04-16-2009 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I didn't have any problems with mine, but I did feed it through one piece at a time.

I have an HP 3 in one, it worked really well with feeding mine through but I suggest you take canned air, or your vaccum and try to get all the paper dust off the feeder tray if it continues to jam. The fabric will sometimes leave dust that jams the rollers just enough to keep the next one feeding through.

Good Luck with it, that's one of my favorite things to do and I have to get to the next one soon. They Marine daddy will be home and I won't have his quilt done.

Sheree from Chicago 04-17-2009 04:58 AM

Thank you for your advice. When I go into settings, there is all kinds of choices for types of paper to click on (photo, cardstock, postcard, etc.) but nothing for thin for foundation piecing nor a setting for paper backed silk or heavier weight. Although I just now thought I wonder if I should try clicking on cardstock which is thicker? The paper backed silk was not cheap and I have crunched up four pages so far.
I'll let you know how it goes, Sheree

FancyFoot 06-04-2009 11:02 PM

I had problems with jams too (HP printer). So
when I use thin foundation paper in my printer, using a school glue stick
I glue the edges of a regular sheet of paper, then put the thin one on the glue. After its printed remove the paper it comes off easily. No more jams for me :wink: :wink: :wink: