Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   problem with breaking needles while using my walking foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-breaking-needles-while-using-my-walking-foot-t170469.html)

wildyard 11-30-2011 06:37 PM

problem with breaking needles while using my walking foot

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with breaking needles with the walking foot? I used mine for the first time on this quilt and broke 4 needles while using it. I have never broke a needle in this machine before putting the walking foot on. It seems to happen when I get sewing along at a pretty fast clip so I suspect that going fast is the problem. Once I set the speed so I couldn't go fast, I didn't break any more. So is a walking foot not meant to be used at full sewing speed? I really liked how much easier it was to do the binding with it, except for changing the broken needles, LOL.
Any tips would be appreciated. Hugs and smilessss....:)

Peckish 11-30-2011 07:01 PM

what kind of machine and what size needle? Is it just the top you're sewing, or the quilt sandwich?

decky 11-30-2011 07:08 PM

I use my walking foot all the time and have never broken a needle, it doesn't matter what speed I go at. Guess I can't help you with your problem.

SherryW 11-30-2011 07:12 PM

I've never broken a needle while using my walking foot.

Daylesewblessed 11-30-2011 07:25 PM

Yes, this happens to me. The problem is that the arm on the walking foot, which takes its power from the needle bar, is resting on the screw that holds the needle in place. That is how the system is designed. Anyway, the action from the walking foot lever causes the screw to loosen, and finally the needle drops out and breaks during the sewing action. You are right that speed is part of the problem. What I do is stop and check the needle screw frequently, giving it a turn tighter for good measure. If you do this, you can feel when/if it starts to loosen up.

I also sometimes have a problem with the screw that holds the walking foot to the needle bar. If it loosens too much, the walking foot will wobble, and the needle can hit the foot, causing a break.

Dayle

In general, I don't think we should be trying to run our walking feet as fast as regular sewing. I use a Pfaff 130, and that machine can go fast. I have to slow down some with the walking foot on.

Dayle

TexasSunshine 11-30-2011 07:37 PM

I have never had a problem sewing fast with the walking foot engaged on my Pfaff.

wildyard 11-30-2011 08:00 PM

Dayle, I think you have hit on my problem. I did have to tighten the screw that holds the walking foot to the needle bar each time. My machine is a Kenmore. I only finger tightened it but will use the screwdriver to make sure it is really snug from now on.
Thanks for the helpful insights!!

lenette 11-30-2011 08:09 PM

Love all this information! I have a walking foot, but when I was going to try it, I didn't have a long screw driver to put it on, and turns out I haven't gotten back to my quilt since then. I'm so glad to learn these tricks so I know what to expect! Thanks all!

halberry 01-02-2012 02:03 AM

Thank you so much for these postings I nearly threw my machine out of the window yesterday as I broke 3 needles with my walking foot, at least now I know what to look out for lol! x

Marni 01-02-2012 03:49 AM

Thanks for the info-good to know-sew nice to not have to find out the hard way!