Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem with Embroidering on Fleece (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-embroidering-fleece-t86673.html)

juneayerza 01-01-2011 01:05 AM

I know some of you do machine embroidering and I need help with a problem I am having. I thought I would do something simple to start with since this is all new to me. I wanted to make some simple scarves with orchids embroidered on the ends. I hooped tear away stabilizer then used a spray adhesive to secure the fleece and finished the sandwich with water soluble stabilizer on the top per my sewing machine shop owner’s instructions. What happens is the top thread seems to bunch up in one spot and the bottom stabilizer tears and then the top thread gets all tangled around the bobbin and punches a hole in the fabric. Any suggestion to what I am doing wrong?

jemma 01-01-2011 02:32 AM

i feel somthing i]not threaded right 2]needle not in or bent----i would be back to the shop for a lesson

granky 01-01-2011 03:15 AM

Definitely sounds like a threading problem...

ckcowl 01-01-2011 03:22 AM

are you using the correct needle? you need a knit/stretch needle. loosen the top tension just a little and lengthen your stitch length. what kind of embroidery machine do you have? if its a viking...make sure you use the sewing advisor and put the fabric setting on (heavy knit) that will ease the pressure on the foot so you get less 'drag'.
good luck...try a practice (sandwich) until you get your settings adjusted. but changing the needle (and cleaning the machine if it's been awhile) may fix the problem

Tcharlie 01-01-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
I know some of you do machine embroidering and I need help with a problem I am having. I thought I would do something simple to start with since this is all new to me. I wanted to make some simple scarves with orchids embroidered on the ends. I hooped tear away stabilizer then used a spray adhesive to secure the fleece and finished the sandwich with water soluble stabilizer on the top per my sewing machine shop owner’s instructions. What happens is the top thread seems to bunch up in one spot and the bottom stabilizer tears and then the top thread gets all tangled around the bobbin and punches a hole in the fabric. Any suggestion to what I am doing wrong?

You are doing it correctly, my question is the type of tear away stablizer. There are different thickness of tear away and on fleece, I would use the heavier tear away. Another question is does your needle need changing and is what you are stitching too dense for the fleece? It may be your design that you are stitching having too many stitches in the design and causing the stablizer to tear. You can even double the top water soluble.

Just a thought....

grann of 6 01-01-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza

Make sure your thread is in the take-up lever at the top of the machine. Sometimes my thread pops out of there and causes the same problem you are having.

CoyoteQuilts 01-01-2011 08:51 AM

I would also add that there may be a flaw in the design. Have you stitched it out on a fabric that does't stretch?