Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem with quilt sandwich bunching HELP HELP HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-quilt-sandwich-bunching-help-help-help-t169621.html)

callen 11-23-2011 03:42 PM

Problem with quilt sandwich bunching HELP HELP HELP

After 2 attempts to stitch in the ditch my top fabric seems ok but my backing fabric ends up in bunches as I finish a line of sewing. I have removed the sewing - re pinned twice and it is still happening. As I near the bottom of my quilt it ends up looking like a swag curtain (hopefully you will get my drift). Could it be a problem with my machine tension or is the backing fabric perhaps not up to snuff. It does not quite feel the same quality as the top but when I bought it the bolt said it was quilting fabric. Please I need some help!!!!!!!

callen
Canada

LivelyLady 11-23-2011 03:51 PM

Are you using a walking foot and lengthened the stitch?

woody 11-23-2011 03:52 PM

Are you using a walking foot?? How closely have you pinned? I spray baste and find that that works for me. The walking foot also makes a huge difference. I also try and keep my quilt sandwich nice and straight as I am stitching.
I hope you can solve your problem, it's so frustrating when it just doesn't work :thumbdown:

callen 11-23-2011 04:17 PM

Tks so much for your quick response. I am using a stitch regulator & I have changed the size of stitch to a 3 but still no success. My pins are about every 3-4 inches apart. I never thought about spray basting, that just might do the trick. I still think there might be a problem with the backing fabric but am not sure. Has anyone else run into this problem with the backing?? I took some scraps (of the same fabric, batting & backing) & they were fine when I sewed them so this really has me stumped. I have only been quilting for 1 1/2 years so I don't have a lot of experience so I would appreciate any help available.

Prism99 11-23-2011 04:43 PM

If you take the sandwich apart, I would also heavily starch the backing fabric before layering. I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water. This will stabilize the backing fabric so it doesn't stretch and distort as you quilt. I would also spray starch the top as heavily as possible.

Also, if your machine has a means of regulating the presser foot pressure, you may want to try lightening up on that. Your machine's pressure is probably set for sewing two layers of fabric together; with a batting in there, it may be heavier than you need. That would also create "drag" on the quilt layers and perhaps stretch the fabrics.

Oh, and spray basting is a good idea too. I have never had a problem using 505 with a starched backing fabric.

DogHouseMom 11-23-2011 04:47 PM

What kind of batting are you using?
Are you quilting on a domestic or a long arm? (I'm guessing domestic)
Are your feed dogs up or down? If your using a walking foot on the top and your feed dogs are down - this could be your problem.

It'sJustMe 11-23-2011 06:52 PM

As a relative newbie too, I can totally agree with what's been said already. Walking foot, heavily starch quilt top and back, 505 spray baste have made me a very happy quilter.

Dina 11-23-2011 07:25 PM

I may be breaking a quilt rule, but I use a 4 or 4.5 when I stitch in the ditch. I am quite happy with my results.

Dina 11-23-2011 07:26 PM

Is a walking foot the same thing as a stitch regulator? I really don't know.

Quiltgirl26 11-23-2011 07:30 PM

This used to happen to me too. Now I use basting glue/spray and make sure both the front and back are smooth. If you don't want to use spray I tape the backing down to my tile floor and then heavily pin....