Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem with Retayne (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-retayne-t75064.html)

kwhite 11-08-2010 07:28 AM

I had some PSU fabric and I had made a doll quilt out of it a while back. It ran and ruiened the quilt, so before I used it this past weekend I washed it according to the directions in Retayne. It seemed to work well on the fabrics, no runs, but the inside of my washer was totally splattered with blue dye and I had to scrub the tub before doing the next load. Have any of you had similar problems with this product?

kathy 11-08-2010 07:30 AM

I dye a lot so I use retayne a lot and have never had any residue left in my washer, I can't imagine what caused it.

kwhite 11-08-2010 07:43 AM

Me either. It was really stuck on there too. Almost gummy. I had to use a scrubby to get it off. I will buying more of this fabric tonight so I can make more of the table toppers so I will see if it happens again.

Quilter4HireAndFun 11-08-2010 07:45 AM

I have never had that happen either with Retayne. You might call Darhma (the manufacturer, I think) and ask them....

Rebecca VLQ 11-08-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Me either. It was really stuck on there too. Almost gummy. I had to use a scrubby to get it off. I will buying more of this fabric tonight so I can make more of the table toppers so I will see if it happens again.

Could it be that there was "soap scum" in your washer from using regular laundry detergent, and then when the retayne did its thing, it splashed the colored water up onto the scum, which kept the dye?

kwhite 11-08-2010 07:55 AM

Perhaps. I filled the washer with soap and bleach and ran a cycle after so I didn't have spotty clothes after that. That seemed ok.

virtualbernie 11-08-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ

Originally Posted by kwhite

Could it be that there was "soap scum" in your washer from using regular laundry detergent, and then when the retayne did its thing, it splashed the colored water up onto the scum, which kept the dye?

Smart! I have to look out for that--never thought of that!

maine ladybug 11-08-2010 01:57 PM

I use Retayne on my Batiks before using them mostly. I don't do it in the washer though. I fill a basin I have in the sink with water and Retayne then add the fabric and let it soak. I rinse it out and wash with everything else. I've never had a problem with stain in the basin or in the washer. And the rest of the laundry is fine too.

amma 11-08-2010 02:35 PM

Thanks for bringing this up Kwhite, never had this happen before... but it is good to hear of the possibilities for why it did :D:D:D

Tracy50 11-08-2010 02:40 PM

I use retayne on everything when I get it home, even my clothes. Since I started doing this, I wash everything (even whites) together. People are startled by this, but I haven't had anything run in years because of Retayne, I love that stuff!

t