Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problems with labels finally solved. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problems-labels-finally-solved-t217298.html)

Cagey 03-25-2013 06:54 AM

Problems with labels finally solved.

I can't seem to make a decent label for my quilts. Have tried the freezer paper but that doesn't work. My DH has nice handwriting so I finally bought some fabric pens and asked him if he would copy some text onto some fabric.
He did a beautiful job - now I have an official label maker!

suziehammond 03-25-2013 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey (Post 5952964)
now I have an official label maker!

I wish I had one of those...can I borrow him? I am still searching for a good method. :)
Delighted you got a solution.

mom-6 03-25-2013 07:19 AM

What a delightful solution! Gets your task accomplished and gets him involved in your project. Winner all the way around.

Kathy Osterby 03-25-2013 08:55 AM

I still can't make nice labels and I've tried all kinds of pens including the Pima pens. I end up using a thin line Sharpie to write with and I use a lined piece of paper so it's straight(under the fabric). I write better than I print lol.

dunster 03-25-2013 12:06 PM

If my DH made my labels no one would be able to read them. How nice that your DH is so talented, and willing to do this for you.

costumegirl 03-25-2013 12:43 PM

I have the same problem using the pens. My writing/printing isn't the greatest and sometimes there are little blobs of ink at the end of a word. Overall the results using pens have been less than desirable and after putting so much effort into the quilt itself and trying to make it look "professional", the pens made the label look second rate.

I have been using machine embroidery for most of my labels. They look great but since I don't have an embroidery machine I have to pay my LQS to make them for me.

*However, a friend suggested that I try using "Bubble Jet Set 2000 for Hewlitt-Packard Printers". Our LQS has it for sale. It allows you to print from your computer onto 100% cotton fabric and it can be used with all ink jet and bubble jet printers. Some quilters use it to transfer photos from their computers to fabric. With this product you can make up a label on your computer using whatever font and colour that you want and you could even add a photo if desired. My friend has tried it and said it is easy and the results are very good - I haven't tried this yet but I am definitely going to in the near future.

Jan in VA 03-25-2013 03:11 PM

I temporarily fuse freezer paper to the underside of my labels then use a Pigma pen .05 size to write my labels. The freezer paper holds the fabric stable enough for the point of the pen not to 'grab' it when writing.

Sometimes I print out what I want to say on paper, using a special font and size, and then use a light box to trace the writing onto the label as above.

Jan in VA

mike'sgirl 03-25-2013 03:19 PM

I have had the same problem with labels. But since I am getting an embrodery machine, I will be using it to make my labels from now on. Sounds like you have found the best kind of label maker, though, and he is free!

momto5 03-25-2013 05:13 PM

I sometimes embroider them if they're for a special person, occasion, or whatever. Usually I put some Printed Treasures in the computer, pick a fancy font, and write what I want to say. I may or may not add clip art or "real" art, ie, a drawn and inked picture or symbol. I have also copied a certain picture on the label and then added wording to it. However you decide to, just remember to do it...:)

kubby343434 03-25-2013 07:12 PM

I just print on fabric sheets from staples then handsew to the back