Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pushing the fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pushing-fabric-t158817.html)

SWEETPEACHES 10-07-2011 06:03 PM

I have a new machine and find that I have to keep pushing the fabric to the right for it to stay 1/4". If I don't keep my fingers firmly on it, it veers to the left. I don't recall having this problem with my old machine.

Does this sound normal?

erstan947 10-07-2011 06:07 PM

I had this problem, took it to the repairman and he found lint packed in around the feeddogs. He cleaned it out and bingo! machine worked properly....Clean out your bobbin area and see if that helps.

quiltingme 10-07-2011 06:10 PM

Mine has done that from day one.

JanTx 10-07-2011 06:12 PM

Brother 9000? I've had trouble with that, too.

SWEETPEACHES 10-07-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx

Brother XR7700. I noticed the foot is wobbling a little too.
It's a new machine I ordered from Costco. I'm very unhappy with it, so far.

I have cleaned out the bobbin area, I'll see if i can see anything down in the feed dogs.

JanTx 10-07-2011 06:26 PM

Be sure the screw holding your foot is tight - mine loosens easily.

SWEETPEACHES 10-07-2011 06:33 PM

The foot is held by snapping up into the presser foot holder. I think that's the problem with the wobbling, there's an ever so small space on the bar that holds the foot... if this makes any sense

snipforfun 10-07-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES

Originally Posted by JanTx

Brother XR7700. I noticed the foot is wobbling a little too.
It's a new machine I ordered from Costco. I'm very unhappy with it, so far.

I have cleaned out the bobbin area, I'll see if i can see anything down in the feed dogs.

The good thing about buying from Costco is their return policy!

BKrenning 10-07-2011 09:09 PM

Sounds like the feed dogs aren't lined up for the 1/4" seam--probably factory set for 5/8" for garments. Try adjusting the needle to your left. You'll have to adjust your seam allowance or seam quide to make up for it but my old mechanical does this also so I always have to remember to reposition the needle so that the feed dogs will grab properly. This is where the accufeed, pin feed, extra feed dogs and/or IDT on the expensive sewing machines really pays off.

MsEithne 10-07-2011 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
I have a new machine and find that I have to keep pushing the fabric to the right for it to stay 1/4". If I don't keep my fingers firmly on it, it veers to the left. I don't recall having this problem with my old machine.

Does this sound normal?

No. Your machine should feed in a straight line without any assistance.

Take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix the problem. Take your own fabric and thread to demonstrate the problem.