Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   putting quilt and batting together (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/putting-quilt-batting-together-t51418.html)

paintbug 06-26-2010 04:11 AM

I have the most trouble when I put the batting, quilt top, and backing together. What is the best way you have found to keep the three pieces together while you stipple quilt it. I have tried saftey pins, basting [which takes forever] and the spray glue. No matter what I try I always have a pucker! HELP

sewcrafty 06-26-2010 04:16 AM

Try pinning each layer separately.

I spray the batting put on the backing and pin the two together at the edges. Then spray the batting for the top, put the top on and pin at the edges again. I don't sew baste at all and haven't had problems.

Deborah12687 06-26-2010 05:27 AM

What I do to keep the quilt from puckering is I start in the middle of the quilt and tempory each corner of the blocks with yarn or pin it with safety pins. You can also just start in the middle and work outward and sew as you go. If I do get a pucker I just rip out the seam that caused the pucker and hand sew it so the pucker goes away.

amma 06-26-2010 06:06 AM

Try slightly stretching out your backing by pinning or taping it to something and then sandwich the quilt by using spray, pinning or basting. If you don't start with stretching the backing this way, it is easier to get puckers IMHO

Boston1954 06-26-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Try slightly stretching out your backing by pinning or taping it to something and then sandwich the quilt by using spray, pinning or basting. If you don't start with stretching the backing this way, it is easier to get puckers IMHO

The ladies in my church quilting group do this. We use the big tables in the kitchen and tape that thing down good. Works very well.

BKrenning 06-26-2010 07:44 AM

Starching the backing will also help take care of puckers.

sharon b 06-26-2010 09:21 AM

I tape my bottom down to a table, stretching it just " a little" not too much and then use the spray to baste it all together with a few well placed pins ( just in case :wink: )

Prism99 06-26-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by paintbug
I have the most trouble when I put the batting, quilt top, and backing together. What is the best way you have found to keep the three pieces together while you stipple quilt it. I have tried saftey pins, basting [which takes forever] and the spray glue. No matter what I try I always have a pucker! HELP

Starch!

I heavily starch my backing fabric with a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water. I paint the solution onto the fabric until it is saturated, toss in the dryer, and then iron with steam. All this before I ever layer the quilt sandwich. Starch stabilizes the backing fabric so it doesn't pucker as you machine quilt.

It also helps to starch the top (using spray starch) before layering.

If the quilt is already sandwiched, it even helps to spray starch the backing and top. Just lay it out on a large sheet to catch overspray. Spray the starch on and let it dry several times.

I think you will be amazed at how good this is at preventing puckers.

sunny52 06-26-2010 10:04 AM

oooooooh, good idea... love that starch!

nativetexan 06-26-2010 11:04 AM

i use a can of 505 or Sulky spray basting now or fusible batting. no more crawling around on the floor for me.