Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Puzzled about scissors... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/puzzled-about-scissors-t205521.html)

Peckish 11-09-2012 07:36 AM

The Queen has spoken. Lol.

I have never liked my Ginghers. The metal handle was too small and hard for my hands, and they're too heavy. I bought pair after pair of scissors until I finally tried the Kai booth at a quilt show, and now I'm hooked. I have 5 pairs in varying sizes and styles. I haven't been able to find the middle-sized one and I'm going through withdrawals!

BellaBoo 11-09-2012 07:37 AM

I have my grandmother's black handle scissors. They were bad scissors back then and even worse now. But I love using them. LOL. Back then most sewers had one good pair of scissors and never thought to have more then one pair unless it was pinking shears. I have all brands of scissors in all sizes. I like Karen Buckley, Fanmore, Heritage, Kia, Dovo, Clover, the best. And I found the Fiskar office scissors are great for fabric too. I have Singer and Gingher. Believe it or not I use them all. I have them all over my sewing room. I use the $1.49 small black handle scissors from Walmart for thread snipping. They are sharp and if I lose a pair at a sewday or class no big deal. Fons and Porter scissors are Clover so if they are on sale I buy them. No one bothers to use my sewing room scissors because I have the same brands in the kitchen and desk drawers for household use.

Tothill 11-09-2012 07:42 AM

I have my grandmother's Wiss scissors. I have no idea how old they are, Granny died 21 years ago at the age of 82 and she sewed all her adult life. They are wonderful scissors. I also have a 25+ year old pair of Fiskars that work well, but do not hold an edge as long as the Wiss.

I used the Fiskars for synthetics, interfacing batting etc.

I also bought two pair of scissors at Staples for paper and other projects. They are incredibly sharp and were about $15.00 for both.

batikmystique 11-09-2012 07:43 AM

Ginghers are definitely amazing scissors, but as you know are pricey. I have owned the size that you mentioned for some years, but I find that the weight becomes an issue as I'm noticing more stiffness in my hands as of late. I discovered Kai scissors about a year ago when I purchased a small pair for cutting out appliqué pieces, but soon purchased a larger pair...they are wonderful and every bit as good and reliable as my Ginghers. Give them a try!

inspectorcmm 11-09-2012 07:55 AM

I think that they have changed also. I like the light and soft feel and fiskars used to be great, but now that they are made overseas they are terrible. They catch in the middle. I haven't bought ginghers because I don't like the feel of the metal. I finally found a pair at a quilt show that were only 12 dollars. The company said the catch is in the sharpening. Must be right because these are a dream. www.famorecuttlery.com. I bought the titanium dress shear and my aunt bought the pointier ones and she says she loves hers also. I was really surprised how reasonalbly priced they were.

jcrow 11-09-2012 08:19 AM

I have a few pair of Gingher"s and they are heavy and hard to open and close. I have read where everyone loves theirs and wondered why I didn't like mine. They cost quite a bit, but I don't use them. I have other brands that I like so much better. They are lighter and cut so much easier. My Gingher's remind me of an old crappy sewing machine that doesn't work very well.

dunster 11-09-2012 08:39 AM

I'm another who loves Kai scissors.

LadyElisabeth 11-09-2012 08:46 AM

When I was doing a lot of Hawaiian quilting 20 years ago I always used Gingher scissors and they were the "old" ones. I also had my Mom's small Ginghers for clipping threads. I have to agree that the new ones seem to be different and not comfortable to use as the older Ginghers

Learner747 11-09-2012 08:57 AM

Thirty-five years ago I received a pair of Singer shears with a serrated blade. They were wonderful. There was nothing they couldn't cut through. Well, three years they finally became dull and I have been unable to find anyone who can sharpen them.:( So my children bought a pair of Ginghers two years ago for me. They are already dull.:thumbdown:

Peckish 11-09-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Learner747 (Post 5645545)
Thirty-five years ago I received a pair of Singer shears with a serrated blade.

Try the Kai scissors. They have micro-serrated blades that grip the fabric as you cut. :thumbup: