Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Q Snap Quilting frame advice Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/q-snap-quilting-frame-advice-please-t199874.html)

Pat625 09-08-2012 03:28 AM

Q Snap Quilting frame advice Please

I just ordered the standing Q Snap frame since I hand quiilt everything. I put it together last night and plan on using it today. As I look at the size of this, I am wondering how you work with it if you are doing a back and forth pattern, such as Baptist Fans? I am used to using the hand-held frames. It would be nice to have such a large work surface, but now I am wondering if it is going to be too large anb bulky to make it any easier...I do not have a large area to set it up in...Any ideas that I am missing here???

grammyp 09-08-2012 05:01 AM

I have not used mine in a long time, but it was small and light enough I could slide it through the door into another room when I didn't want it to be seen. I pin basted my quilt (even though it said that was not needed), started in the middle, and repositioned as needed, removing the pins when needed.

thimblebug6000 09-08-2012 06:53 AM

I gave mine away because I really can only hand quilt in one direction nicely.

auntpiggylpn 09-08-2012 07:14 AM

I bought one because I am embarking on my first hand quilting project - a queen size Double Wedding Ring. I found it too large and too cumbersome to use. I recently picked up a smaller round floor loom at a garage sale and it is working much better for me. I too don't have the room for the Q snap when it is set up. I will be finding it a new home eventually!

Pat625 09-08-2012 07:44 AM

I am finding that I am having trouble quilting back and forth..Thinking of returning it....Not worth it for the little I think I will be able to use it for...I too can't quilt backwards neatly without skipping the thimble, and I am not a fan of Pain!!

sandy l 09-08-2012 08:38 AM

I have a Grace 14-inch hoop floor stand frame and really like it. I can rotate the hoop in any direction.

BellaBoo 09-08-2012 08:55 AM

I just turned the whole frame in the direction I needed, it's lightweight and easy to turn, or moved my chair to the side I wanted to quilt in one direction. The Qsnap floor frame was my first floor frame. I use it more for basting now as I don't hand quilt much at all anymore. The tilting leg is a necessity for it for me.

mike'sgirl 09-08-2012 10:52 AM

I wanted one mainly for basting and also for hand quilting when I do have something I want to hand sew. My dh is someday going to make one for me.

Prism99 09-08-2012 02:56 PM

I gave my Q-snap floor frame away. Used it for one quilt, but it was too hard on my back. What works better for me, for hand quilting, is my lap hoop with the swivel ball. I can adjust it in any direction so that I am always sewing in the direction that is easiest for me. But, I'm not sure these are still sold. Keepsake Quilting used to carry them, but not anymore. The swivel ball lap hoops are *much* better than the stationary lap hoops (the kind with 3 pillars), in my opinion, because there is nothing that interferes with the underneath hand (and they are much more adjustable).

Pat625 09-08-2012 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5500405)
I gave my Q-snap floor frame away. Used it for one quilt, but it was too hard on my back. What works better for me, for hand quilting, is my lap hoop with the swivel ball. I can adjust it in any direction so that I am always sewing in the direction that is easiest for me. But, I'm not sure these are still sold. Keepsake Quilting used to carry them, but not anymore. The swivel ball lap hoops are *much* better than the stationary lap hoops (the kind with 3 pillars), in my opinion, because there is nothing that interferes with the underneath hand (and they are much more adjustable).

Is this the one you are talking about?? http://www.joann.com/grace-polypro-s...hoop/prd17708/