Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   QFK "Quilts for Kids" Group (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/qfk-quilts-kids-group-t195711.html)

Deborahlees 07-25-2012 09:37 AM

QFK "Quilts for Kids" Group

Who is making quilts for this group ????
What have been your expierences ????
How is this group different from Project Linus ????
Any and all information will be appreciated

Tink's Mom 07-25-2012 10:10 AM

I have made several quilts for them...no problems. Always receive a thank you, too.

I don't do Project linus, as QFK is more available for me.

Go to the website for Downy's QFK and you should get all the info that you need.

NJ Quilter 07-25-2012 10:59 AM

I think it's a great organization. They will supply you with kits or you can make your quilts. They do require that their quilts be machine quilted but that's about the only requirement of which I'm aware. They give quilts to hospitalized children all over the country. The kits they supply are adorable and can easily be completed in a couple of days. Most of the strips are pre cut so you only need to do sub cutting. They recommend pulling the backing to the front and folding and doing machine binding as well. Kit's are free - you supply batting.

AuntieD 07-25-2012 11:45 AM

I have never heard of this group. Will have to check them out. Thanks.

dunster 07-25-2012 12:50 PM

Project Linus has fewer rules, in that they will accept tied quilts, crocheted or knitted blankets, etc. and they also accept a variety of sizes. QFK wants all quilts to be approximately the same size, quilted by machine. Both are great organizations, but I think Project Linus has been around longer and has more chapters where you can drop off quilts, rather than running the expense of mailing them. Also with Project Linus there's a better chance that you will be donating to hospitals in your own geographic area. I made several quilts for QFK, but then I decided that for me it was better to donate quilts through my local guilds. There are so many ways we can give quilts!

Ps 150 07-28-2012 11:46 AM

I have made two quilts for them and really enjoyed the rewarding experience. I never received a thank you or anything like that, but that's not why I did it. I'm not sure what the difference is with PL, though.

hawk 07-31-2012 10:48 AM

I have made quilts for Tulsa Quilts for Kids. They give you pre-cut fabric and colors all picked out for the pattern they cut for and we either sew at one of their workdays or at home and drop off at LQS. You can machine quilt it or they will quilt it for you. they supply batting, backing, the whole thing, and since it is a local group the quilts are donated locally. Don't know about PL, so can't help there.

GailG 07-31-2012 10:55 AM

Does anyone know of any dropoff points for PL in Southwest Louisiana? I'm in Iberia parish.

Pat_sews 07-31-2012 03:20 PM

What is the group? Is it just in one area? Is there a link for them? Some info?

ckcowl 07-31-2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pat_sews (Post 5409180)
What is the group? Is it just in one area? Is there a link for them? Some info?

type 'downy quilts for kids' into your search engine-
it is sponsored by Downy fabric softener= it is a national project- if you go to their website & click on the 'request a kit' link and sign up they will send you a quilt kit & pattern- they ask that you make the quilt- then make a second one (or more) from your stash-
the quilts are distributed to children in hospitals across the country.
they ask that the quilts be machine quilted & machine bound- due to the industrial laundries used in hospitals-
the kits are always fun- the pattern is a good one- they include the fabric for the top, backing & binding- you add batting