Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Queen from the super-fast jelly roll tute? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/queen-super-fast-jelly-roll-tute-t72351.html)

CompulsiveQuilter 10-26-2010 03:27 AM

I want to make a queen quilt from this "pattern," with no borders. Besides having a strip as long as my back yard, do you think this would work? My math keeps coming up with different answers (of course) but I think I have figured it out IN THEORY. Now for some reality from you guys ...

ktbb 10-26-2010 04:17 AM

I love to play with number so lets see if my work is the same as yours...first, the super fast jelly roll quilt I'm thinking about is the one where you stitch the strips together end to end, fold in half and stitch those together and repeat...is that the one you're talking about?

If so, I agree that it will be a very looooooooog strip - that being said, a queen size quilt with a ten inch drop measures about 80 by 90 and translated into square inches that comes to 7200 square inches finished. If you translate the jelly roll strips into finished dimensions, I calculate each strip will finish out at 2 inches by 41 inches (of course the 41 could be 42 or 43, depending on the fabric width). Multiplying that finished dimension, 40 strips that finish to 2 X 41 comes out to 3,280 square inches. That means you'd need three jellyrolls to complete the queen, and you'd actually have enough there to make a quilt about 96 by 98...which is a queen with an 18 inch drip. you can also reduce the amount of the drop and make it longer to include a tuck over the pillows.

cjomomma 10-26-2010 04:34 AM

It should work. I made one and it fit my queen mattress but I like mine bigger, more like a king so I added borders to it.

mrs theo 10-26-2010 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I love to play with number so lets see if my work is the same as yours...first, the super fast jelly roll quilt I'm thinking about is the one where you stitch the strips together end to end, fold in half and stitch those together and repeat...is that the one you're talking about?

If so, I agree that it will be a very looooooooog strip - that being said, a queen size quilt with a ten inch drop measures about 80 by 90 and translated into square inches that comes to 7200 square inches finished. If you translate the jelly roll strips into finished dimensions, I calculate each strip will finish out at 2 inches by 41 inches (of course the 41 could be 42 or 43, depending on the fabric width). Multiplying that finished dimension, 40 strips that finish to 2 X 41 comes out to 3,280 square inches. That means you'd need three jellyrolls to complete the queen, and you'd actually have enough there to make a quilt about 96 by 98...which is a queen with an 18 inch drip. you can also reduce the amount of the drop and make it longer to include a tuck over the pillows.

Great job with the math :thumbup: But at this hour, just reading it made my head hurt :)

ktbb 10-26-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrs theo

Originally Posted by ktbb
I love to play with number ... longer to include a tuck over the pillows.

Great job with the math :thumbup: But at this hour, just reading it made my head hurt :)

How do you think my head hurt after doing that so early in the morning.

CompulsiveQuilter 10-26-2010 10:07 AM

The math I got: if the strips run vertical it's pretty easy. The length, about 86, would be two strips. The width, about 90, would be 45 strips across. That's 90 strips, give or take a few.
If the strips run horizontal, the width would be approx. 2 1/2 strips and 45 strips down. That's about 112 strips. I have 2 jelly rolls, lots of individual plain neutrals from swaps and several WOF strips I have cut from other projects. I have wondered, though, I also have lots of partial 2 1/2" strips (not quite WOF) but hesitate to use them because of the seam-butting problem. What do you think? Should I take my chances?

ktbb 10-26-2010 02:04 PM

YOu can use the partial strips if you want...it's your quilt. I might place them in between longer strips rather than use them all together.

Not sure how you're getting the difference in strips...the same fabric is covering the same amount of space..the 86 x 90 area. One direction you have shorter strips but more of them and the other way the strips are longer and fewer of them...