Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Questin re Hand Quilting on Grace Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questin-re-hand-quilting-grace-frame-t148797.html)

GayleM 08-29-2011 11:04 AM

I just (finally) got a queen quilt mounted on my Grace Quilting frame. Do I need to start hand quilting in the middle, or can I work from the bottom up? The only other projects I've done on the Grace frame were small table toppers which I quilted from the bottom up without a problem. I am still a newbie. Don't ask why my first "real" quilt is a queen size. Guess it's genetic as my first crochet project was a bathrobe. :roll:

granny_59 08-29-2011 11:14 AM

Guess it's genetic as my first crochet project was a bathrobe

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am also hand quilting on a grace frame and started in the middle. I spray basted and whenever I finish one section I take it off and check the back to be on the safe side.
I think its better to start in the middle of a queen size.
Granny

Vanuatu Jill 08-29-2011 11:16 AM

I always start quilting in the middle-no matter how large or small the project is.

kraftykimberly 08-29-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I always start quilting in the middle-no matter how large or small the project is.

What she said :-)

Maia B 08-29-2011 01:51 PM

I know the center is the "right" answer, but I have to ask why that's true on a no-baste frame...

granny_59 08-29-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
I know the center is the "right" answer, but I have to ask why that's true on a no-baste frame...

you have to baste the quilt before you can quilt it on a grace frame.
Granny

Maia B 08-29-2011 04:59 PM

Oh, I've got a Grace catalog, and they have at least two no-baste frames, that's what I was thinking of...

GayleM 08-30-2011 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by granny_59

Originally Posted by Maia B

you have to baste the quilt before you can quilt it on a grace frame.
Granny

I have a no-baste Grace frame and also emailed them my question. Their reply was that I don't need to start in the middle, but can quilt from the bottom up! Now I am confused and REALLY don't want to do it wrong. Everyone, please share your experiences with this newbie. HELP ~!

granny_59 08-30-2011 09:12 AM

I would say that with a no-baste frame it doesnt matter where you start and if you have a frame where you baste the quilt first then start in the middle.
Granny

GayleM 08-30-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by granny_59
I would say that with a no-baste frame it doesnt matter where you start and if you have a frame where you baste the quilt first then start in the middle.
Granny

Thank you and Phew! I will start quilting tonight. I think I will check underneath as I go though - just to be sure..... God bless you and all the other quilters for your participation in this blog!