Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Accuquilt Dies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-accuquilt-dies-t156220.html)

kriscraft99 09-27-2011 08:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my Accuquilt Baby Go last night. I waited until this morning to unpack it and give it a try.

My 5" die is not straight in the frame. It is more to the left on one side than the other so if I put fabric on it, lining up the sides of the fabric with the outside sides of the die, the actual squares, once cut, will not be on the grain. Is this normal with the dies or should the squares be lined up with frame of the die?

Below is a picture, I put the straight pins to show where the blade is (I was scared it wouldn't show up in the picture)

purplemem 09-27-2011 08:32 AM

It is normal for the die to be "off". You align your fabric with the cut on the die, not the frame of the die. It should cut just fine.

Prism99 09-27-2011 08:33 AM

The cutting edges are positioned that way to make rolling fabric through the machine easier (and to minimize fabric stretching). You need to line up fabric with the cutting edges of the die, not the outside edges.

The 5" square is the die that has the most problems. Be sure to measure your squares to make sure they actually come out square. If not, you may need to use a paper filter between the die and fabric to avoid stretching the fabric as it goes through. There are other tips for using the dies too, I think. You might want to join the accucutquilters group on Yahoo for tips, ideas, etc.

dakotamaid 09-27-2011 08:34 AM

Ditto to purplemem. They do that so the cut goes into the roller at an angle, it appears to help with clean cuts.

kriscraft99 09-27-2011 08:39 AM

ahhhhhhhh.. good to know :thumbup: I think it should come with a warning sticker on it telling the user that it should be off centered. I thought I was going to have to send it back to get a new one.. whewwwwwww.....

now I'm off to play :)

romanojg 09-27-2011 09:46 AM

This is the right way. You do need to make sure your grain is right though or your blocks won't be true to size; found that out the hardway; with by the way this same die.

PaperPrincess 09-27-2011 04:59 PM

Get a metallic fine point sharpie marker. I use silver. Extend the lines of the blades on the foam. This will make it easier to line up the fabric on the straight of grain. On the strip cutters, draw a true perpendicular line to line up the fold of your fabric so your strips are straight. This line should be drawn across the blades, about 1/8" from the ends of the blades.

luvTooQuilt 09-27-2011 05:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
heres what I do..

outline with a silver sharpie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263379[/ATTACH]

the newer ones are two toned
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263380[/ATTACH]

kriscraft99 09-28-2011 06:06 AM

oh that is very helpful and I love the two toned ones. That would make it much easier.

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
heres what I do..