Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about batting (I wish I'd paid more attention!) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-batting-i-wish-id-paid-more-attention-t202123.html)

running1 10-02-2012 10:24 AM

question about batting (I wish I'd paid more attention!)

Hello all... I'm hand quilting a quilt for my DH and loving every minute of it... still have lots of practice and I AM getting better with more consistent stitch lengths. Here is my question: When I pull the thread through after burying the knot, I invariably get a little tuft of batting coming through... and often on the first 1-2 stitches also. I don't remember what batting I used... so... What kind of batting should I use to avoid this?? Is there anything I can do now to avoid it? (I've tried Thread Heaven AND beeswax AND using nothing at all... it doesn't seem to matter on that end...) Please help?? And thank you for your responses!!!

Prism99 10-02-2012 10:43 AM

Have you tried changing your needle? A smaller needle might help, and possibly also a different brand. What brand needle are you using? Needle quality can vary greatly with manufacturer, with some being smoother and others being more rough.

Are you using cotton batting or polyester batting? Polyester has more of a tendency to have this problem. Next time I would advise using Quilter's Dream Request or Select, which is a needlepunched cotton batting that is easy to hand quilt.

Jingle 10-02-2012 01:38 PM

I no longer hand quilt and haven't for 10 years or so. I always usedpoly batting and still do. I don't remember having those problems with it. Sounds like you need a real short needle, thin and vary sharp.

Pat625 10-02-2012 02:32 PM

I have noticed some of this while quilting a scrappy quilt..It seems it showed up only on the pieces with a looser weave

Jan in VA 10-02-2012 06:09 PM

This is called "bearding" and occurs more frequently when using polyester batting and sometimes wool. Yes, do try using the smallest needle you can handle and perhaps a coated thread like YLI or Coats and Clark hand quilting thread.

Jan in VA

lynnie 10-02-2012 06:23 PM

Some people start with a 36" thread, you thread one end and quilt.when done thread other end...no knots

Lori S 10-02-2012 06:27 PM

In addition to what Jan said , make sure when you thread your needle , thread it from the spool then cut it. Thread has a direction to it.. and small tiny "barbs" that may catch or create a drag just a touch of the batting and pull it through. Back when I hand quilted .. I coated my thread with bees wax. They still sell this for hand quilting.

running1 10-04-2012 04:58 AM

Thank you everyone for helping with this!! I will definitely change my needle... pay attention to thread direction... I'm using YLI thread which I really like... I wish I could remember what the batting is... but will be more selective from now on!!!

I'm really enjoying the hand work... and I'm kinda proud of my little callous :-) Happy quilting everyone!!